DJ Campbell says he can score the goals to keep QPR in the Premier League, the Daily Mirror reports.Campbell, who impressed for Blackpool last season, is available again after a hamstring problem.His return could be a timely boost for Rangers given that Djibril Cisse is suspended.And Campbell said: “It’s not quite worked out for me this season with injuries, but I scored a lot of goals last year, so why not?“It’s what I get paid to do and that’s what I hopefully can do when I come back.“I feel I can make an impact straight away. I believe we can do it. If I can score the goals to help us do so, then my job’s done.” Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
18 July 2014The South African Mint Company, in partnership with the Nelson Mandela Foundation, on Friday marked the first Mandela Day since Madiba’s passing by unveiling the second edition of its Protea Life of a Legend coin series.The three-coin series – 24-carat gold R25 (one-ounce) and R5 (one-tenth ounce) coins and a sterling silver R1 coin – are themed around Mandela’s dedication to lifelong learning.The first member of his family to attend school, education remained extremely important to Mandela throughout his life.The pure gold R25 coin displays the University of Fort Hare in the Eastern Cape, where Mandela studied, a young Mandela wearing a double-breasted suit, and the Mandela quote: “Everywhere in the world it is accepted that students, as a thinking and independent-minded section of the population, have the right to freedom of thought and expression of opinion.”The sterling silver R1 coin depicts Mandela as a child practising how to write “Nelson” on a slate board, along with the Mandela quote: “The children of today are the leaders of tomorrow, and education is a very important weapon to prepare children for their future roles as leaders of the community.”The pure gold R5 coin carries his quote: “Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world.”All three coins have the same obverse: South Africa’s national flower, the King Protea, in a half garland below Mandela in one of his trademark Madiba shirts.“The South African Mint Company is honoured to release the second Protea coin series on the first Mandela Day that he is not with us,” South African Mint Company MD Tumi Tsehlo said in a statement. “Making it more special is that it is dedicated to education, which was so close to his heart.”Nelson Mandela Foundation chief executive Sello Hatang said: “These beautiful coins, which commemorate the life and times of Madiba, continue to propagate his life and his beliefs, which we cherish as the Nelson Mandela Foundation. They are testament to a living legacy.”The 2014 Protea Life of a legend coin series is available for purchase at the SA Mint in Centurion.SAinfo reporter
The posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) is a powerful ligament extending from the top-rear surface of the tibia to the bottom-front surface of the femur. The ligament prevents the knee joint from posterior instability.Review Date:6/4/2011Reviewed By:Linda J. Vorvick, MD, Medical Director, MEDEX Northwest Division of Physician Assistant Studies, University of Washington, School of Medicine; C. Benjamin Ma, MD, Assistant Professor, Chief, Sports Medicine and Shoulder Service, UCSF Department of Orthopaedic Surgery. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.
TORONTO – Gender-neutral birth certificates could be issued in Ontario as early as next year, provided the province can work out bureaucratic hurdles involving other governments.Ontario’s minister of government and consumer services said Thursday consultations will be held on the matter this summer and the province is working to ensure a gender-neutral birth certificate would be legally recognized in other jurisdictions.Tracy MacCharles said she’s hopeful Ontario can issue gender-neutral birth certificates by 2018.MacCharles said she’s asked the ministry to reach out to Joshua M. Ferguson — an Ontario-born filmmaker who applied last week to have a change of sex designation on their birth certificate from male to non-binary — a term used to define someone who doesn’t identify with either gender. The minister said she knows the issue is important to the trans and non-binary community.Ferguson, who wants to be referred to by the gender-neutral pronouns “they/them/their,” said they’re pleased to see the government moving forward on the issue.The 34-year-old, who is also a writer and activist, said they have a right to a non-binary birth certificate given Ontario’s laws against discrimination on the basis of gender identity. Ferguson said they’d hoped to receive the new certificate by this summer.“If it doesn’t happen until 2018, this is definitely a problem for me personally, because it would continue to cause me emotional grief over having a birth certificate and all my other forms of legal documentation that are currently discriminating against me, because I’m not a male or a female,” Ferguson said.Currently, Ontario offers gender-neutral options for drivers’ licenses and health cards but not for birth certificates.Ferguson, who lives in Vancouver, has submitted a physician letter along with the application to confirm that the sex on their current birth certificate does not match their gender identity.Last month, activist Gemma Hickey applied for a non-binary birth certificate in Newfoundland and Labrador, but no decision has been announced.
Luciano Spalletti has warned Manchester United, Barcelona and Paris Saint Germain that Inter Milan’s defender Milan Skriniar “is priceless suggesting “Nobody can afford him.”There has been a great deal of interest around the Slovakia international who turns 24 next month.Inter Milan secured the services of the defender for €34m from Sampdoria in the summer of 2017 and his value has since sky-rocketed.“Nobody has the money to pay for Skriniar. He is priceless,” said the Coach in this evening’s Press conference via Football Italia.Capello calls Lukaku “a modern striker” Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 The former Italian manager believes Romelu Lukaku is perfectly suited for Antonio Conte’s Internazionale Milan in the Serie A.“He is staying here, because nobody can afford him.”The situation is different for Brazil international Joao Miranda.“This sort of rumour damages Inter and weakens the club. If Miranda did tell anyone he wanted to leave Inter, he didn’t say it to me. Every time I played him, Miranda has done well.”The Serie A giants secured their passage to the quarter-finals of the Coppa Italia after beating Benevento 6-2.
00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsPOINT LOMA (KUSI)- A popular San Diego location to visit this holiday season is Garrison Street in Point Loma. Every year many people go to the neighborhood to see the spectacular Christmas lights.Throughout the month of December, people turn on their lights at dusk and turn them off at 10 p.m. Many families went out tonight to look at the amazing Christmas displays. KUSI Newsroom, Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter Posted: December 14, 2018 Point Loma Christmas lights on Garrison Street December 14, 2018 KUSI Newsroom
CNET may get a commission from retail offers. Now playing: Watch this: Share your voice Culture Gaming Accessories 2:38 Amazon All the cool new gadgets at CES 2019 CES 2019: Every story so far: See all of CNET’s coverage of the year’s biggest tech show. CES 2019 schedule: It’s six days of jam-packed events. Here’s what to expect. See It News • Are you a Nintendo Switch docker or hander? 85 Photos Walmart See It Review • Nintendo Switch review: Pure fun on a big-screen TV or on the go There’s also a charger that works with individual Joy-Cons instead of two. CNET/Mark Serrels Powercast wants to solve one of the biggest problems with the Nintendo Switch, and that makes me very happy.I consider the Nintendo Switch one of the most convenient game consoles I’ve ever owned. You can play games on the go, before falling asleep in bed, on public transport. It’s a console designed to filter into the gaps of a busy life, with one exception: the damned Joy-Con controllers. I have this issue weekly. I want to play, say Mario Kart 8 or Smash Bros. Ultimate, with my family. I need three or four Joy-Cons (aka Nintendo Switch controllers). The ones already attached to the Nintendo Switch are good to go because, unless you own an accessory, that’s the only way Nintendo Switch Joy-Cons charge. My spare Joy-Cons, however, have no battery. That means you’re pretty much screwed — unless you have Powercast’s Wireless Charging Grips.These things are awesome. I tried them out at CES 2019, and I love them. $289 Charge your Nintendo Switch over-the-air $299 See It Nintendo See it $309 They work using Powercast’s over-the-air energy tech. A rectangular cube literally sends energy through the air using RF energy, which is converted to DC power using a receiver chip inside the Nintendo Switch grip. The energy stored is used to charge the controllers themselves. What that means, essentially, is you can play Nintendo Switch while your controller charges, potentially until the heat death of the universe. It’s a great solution. There are a few issues here. The range is short-ish. In a press release, Powercast says it’s two feet. In the video above, you can see I got a little bit farther, but it was hard to confirm whether the controller was actually still charging at that distance. There are other charging grips on the market — Nintendo has an official one but it requires cables. Powercast’s solution seems better to me, particularly since I enjoy attaching the Joy-Cons to some sort of grip while playing the Nintendo Switch docked on TV. I’d rather do that without a cable.Powercast is saying the Wireless Charging Grips will be available in the third quarter in the US and Canada, with other territories coming shortly after. No word on price yet. Preview • Nintendo Switch: All the latest details Comments $299 Tags 2 How To • How to transfer your Nintendo Switch account to a new Switch V2 Nintendo Switch Mentioned Above Nintendo Switch (Gray) Best Buy CES 2019
Comment Politics Tech Industry 1 The UN said last year that Facebook’s tools helped to fuel a genocide. Getty Images The United Nations wants Facebook to do better.Last year, UN investigators issued a report on the hate speech that helped to fuel a genocide in Myanmar. In it, the international body said Facebook played a “determining role” in the crisis, highlighting how much propaganda had spread on the service and how little the social network had done to stop it.Facebook responded, banning Myanmar military officials who spread hateful propaganda, admitting it should have done more, and cracking down on bad behavior on its platform.Still, the UN says, that is not enough.”I think there has been meaningful and significant change from Facebook, but it’s not nearly sufficient,” Christopher Sidoti, the UN investigator, said in an interview with Gizmodo published Wednesday.Sidoti’s criticism is the latest in a string of complaints from international leaders have had about Facebook’s handling of harmful content on its service. Most recently, New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern criticized social media companies for not doing enough to halt the spread of hateful ideologies and propaganda, some of which were referenced in a manifesto published by a gunman before he massacred 50 people in two mosques in the country last month — which he livestreamed, on Facebook.”We cannot simply sit back and accept that these platforms just exist and that what is said on them is not the responsibility of the place where they are published,” Ardern said shortly after the shooting. “They are the publisher, not just the postman. It cannot be a case of all profit, no responsibility.”In the US, Facebook and Google will be testifying before the Hose Judiciary Committee on Capitol Hill next week as part of a hearing titled, “Hate Crimes and the Rise of White Nationalism.”In UN investigator Sidoti’s Gizmodo interview, he expressed concerns Facebook wasn’t being transparent enough about its efforts, and that, for example, Facebook hasn’t provided country-specific data about the spread of hate speech on its service. Ultimately, he added, Facebook “still has a very long way to go.””Even the report commissioned by Facebook itself indicated that only around half of the posts removed by Facebook were identified by Facebook,” Sidoti said. “They’re still reliant on being informed by outsiders, and they’re not yet anywhere near satisfactory in their performance in removing material — and certainly nowhere near satisfactory in preventing posting of this material in the first place.” Facebook Share your voice Tags
Arizona Senator John McCain says he opposes the latest Republican effort to repeal Obamacare. Photo: AFPUS Senator John McCain Friday announced his opposition to the latest Republican attempt to replace Barack Obama’s signature health care law, likely dooming the repeal effort.It is the second time in two months that he has defied his party and president Donald Trump over efforts to replace the Affordable Care Act, often referred to as “Obamacare,” which has long been in Republicans’ sights.“I cannot in good conscience vote for the Graham-Cassidy proposal,” McCain said of the bill proposed by fellow Republican senators Lindsey Graham and Bill Cassidy.“I believe we could do better working together, Republicans and Democrats, and have not yet really tried,” the senator said in a statement.In July, McCain made a dramatic return to Washington from Arizona after a brain cancer diagnosis to become one of three Republican senators who helped sink their party’s earlier bid to replace Obamacare.Now, rebels within the party ranks appear set to torpedo what may be the party’s last chance to make good on a longstanding Republican goal, and a signature pledge of the president.With both McCain and the conservative Rand Paul opposed, it would take just one more Republican defector to prevent the bill’s passage before a deadline of 30 September, the end of the fiscal year. At least two party moderates-Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski-are known to have serious reservations.The bill’s collapse would be yet another blow to the president and the Republican leadership, who have been unable to move forward on repealing Obamacare despite controlling Congress and the White House.In coming out against the latest bill, McCain criticized the fact that it had bypassed regular Senate order, and noted that it would not be fully reviewed by the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office (CBO) before the end of the month.The senator said he could not “support it without knowing how much it will cost, how it will effect insurance premiums, and how many people will be helped or hurt by it.”Trump targets defectors -The bill’s supporters might be eager to avoid a CBO score. In July, the non-partisan body projected that the ranks of the uninsured would grow by 23 million Americans, and premiums would rise 20 per cent annually, over the next decade if the previous Obamacare repeal bill became law.The White House scrambled earlier this week to win over Republicans skeptical of Graham-Cassidy, with Trump himself phoning lawmakers and state governors seeking to tilt the scales in favor of the bill.And Trump made his position on Republican defectors clear on Friday, writing on Twitter that those who vote against Graham-Cassidy “will forever…. be known as ‘the Republican who saved Obamacare.’”While Republicans have pledged to repeal the Obama-era health care reforms, they have struggled to secure enough support to do so amid fears that proposed alternatives would dramatically increase the number of Americans without health insurance.The American Medical Association has issued scathing criticism of the latest repeal effort, warning it “would result in millions of Americans losing their health insurance coverage, destabilize health insurance markets, and decrease access to affordable coverage and care.”McCain’s rejection of the latest Obamacare replacement bill is yet another slight against the current president, someone he has repeatedly challenged from within the ranks of the Republican Party.Trump, for his part, had mocked McCain’s war hero status as a former prisoner of war in Vietnam as he ran for president, declaring: “I like people who weren’t captured.”
Marcus and Anthony Glover, the two sons of D.C. Metro accident victim Carol Glover, and attorney Patrick Regan (left) announce a $50 million lawsuit against the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority on Jan. 30. (AP)The sons of a woman who died of smoke inhalation in an accident on a Yellow Line Metro train filed a $50 million lawsuit on Jan. 30 against the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority.Carol I. Glover, 61, died Jan. 12 when a train bearing her and hundreds of other passengers encountered heavy smoke near the L’Enfant Plaza station. Glover, who suffered from asthma, was overcome when smoke filled her train car and could not be revived despite the efforts of fellow passengers. 80 others were hospitalized.Marcus W. Glover and Anthony R. Glover II were joined at press conference announcing the lawsuit by their attorney, Patrick Regan of Regan, Zambri & Long PLLC in Northwest D.C.“This is a very important day, we want to make sure this will never happen again,” Marcus Glover said. “We want to seek justice for our family, but for everyone in this city – we are not bitter, we seek justice.”“My family has been devastated by this tragedy,” Anthony Glover said. “We are completely and utterly devastated by the loss of my mother.”Anthony Glover said he remained in close contact with his mother during his service in the Marine Corps and through three deployments in Iraq.Hundreds attended a Jan. 19 memorial service for Glover at Capitol Hill Baptist Church in Northeast D.C. She was a Washington, D.C. native and resided in Alexandria, Va. at the time of her death.The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating the incident; completion of a final report is expected to take several months. According to The Washington Post, a preliminary report found that an “electrical arcing incident” caused smoke to fill the tunnel.The 10-page lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Washington D.C. cites negligence on the part of Metro responders in following safety measures and evacuating the stricken train in a timely manner.“As a direct and proximate result of Defendant WMATA’s negligence, Ms. Glover was trapped, helpless, in Train 302 for nearly forty-five minutes as it filled with smoke,” the lawsuit states, “during this time she fought, ever more agonizingly, to breathe as the smoke gradually sapped the life from her body.”“She was a fabulous type of woman, Carol was; as a mother, grandmother, daughter, sister, and citizen,” Regan told the AFRO following the press conference. “She was fantastic.”“I had asked her sons to do the press conference on what was lost in this senseless tragedy on Jan. 12,” he added. “Carol had three grandchildren, one on the way and that was the purpose. The family is not greedy or vindictive but they want to make sure that this doesn’t happen to anyone else on this subway system.”“Metro should have evacuated the passengers off that subway train long before anyone was injured or killed,” Regan said.