H1N1 FLU BREAKING NEWS: Cases top 5,000; first cases in Cuba, Thailand, Finland; pregnancy risk; restocking stockpile; infected hospital workers

first_imgMay 12, 2009Global novel H1N1 flu cases surpass 5,000The global count of novel H1N1 influenza (swine flu) case confirmations has increased to 5,251 from 30 countries, the World Health Organization (WHO) reported today. The total includes 2,059 cases with 56 deaths in Mexico and 2,600 cases and 3 deaths reported in the United States as of yesterday. Canada has had 330 cases and 1 death, and Costa Rica has reported 8 cases and 1 death.[WHO update 26]US H1N1 cases top 3,000The number of confirmed H1N1 cases in the United States rose to 3,009 and 3 deaths in 45 states today, an increase of 409 since yesterday’s update, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported today. The number of states reporting cases rose by one, as Montana reported its first case. Yesterday CDC official Anne Schuchat, MD, said at a press briefing that many states don’t report flu cases over the weekend, so the agency expected a big increase in the H1N1 count today.[Current CDC numbers]Cuba confirms first H1N1 case, accuses Mexico of hiding outbreakCuba’s health ministry yesterday announced the nation’s first novel H1N1 case, in a Mexican medical student who was studying at a clinic in Cuba and had recently returned from a visit to his home country, the Associated Press (AP) reported. A few hours later, Fidel Castro, Cuba’s former president, posted a column on the government’s Web site accusing Mexico of hiding the flu outbreak until after US President Obama’s visit in April.[May 11 AP story]Thailand, Finland report first novel flu casesTwo more countries—Thailand and Finland—confirmed their first novel H1N1 cases today, the Australian Associated Press (AAP) reported. Thailand reported two cases in people who had traveled to Mexico, and Finland also confirmed two, though few details were available. The four cases are not included in today’s WHO total.[May 12 AAP story]CDC warns about flu risk in pregnant womenAt a news briefing today, Dr. Anne Schuchat of the CDC warned that pregnant women are at increased risk for flu complications such as pneumonia, dehydration, and premature labor, especially with the novel H1N1 strain. She said the CDC is investigating 20 cases of the disease in pregnant women, a few of whom have had severe complications, and one fatality, a previously reported Texas woman. Schuchat urged prompt antiviral treatment for pregnant women.[May 12 CDC briefing transcript]Roche donation restocks WHO Tamiflu stockpileRoche, the maker of Tamiflu (oseltamivir), announced today that it is donating 5.65 million treatment courses to the WHO to replenish a 2-million-course regional outbreak stockpile and a 3-million-course rapid-response stockpile. The donation also establishes a pediatric stockpile of 650,000 courses. Production capacity will reach 110 million courses over the next 5 months and will amount to 36 million courses per month by the end of the year if needed.[May 12 Roche press release]Novel H1N1 infections reported in Toronto hospital workersFour workers at two Toronto hospitals, one of whom had contact with patients, have tested positive for the novel H1N1 flu, the Toronto Star reported today. Two of the employees were reportedly exposed to the virus in the community, and one of them passed it on to two coworkers. A hospital spokeswoman said so far no novel H1N1 infections have been reported in any patients that had contact with the sick staff members.[May 12 Toronto Star story]last_img read more

Olympic qualification process and late season being studied – Coe

first_img(REUTERS) – World Athletics is working to restart a shuttered athletics season and studying any changes that may be needed in the qualifying process for the rescheduled Tokyo Olympics, president Seb Coe said on Friday.The governing body is hoping to offer a series of meetings that may begin in August and run to October so athletes can get back in to competition as quickly as possible when it is safe to do so due to the coronavirus pandemic, Coe said in a letter addressed to the athletics community.“We don’t yet know the date for the Games next year,” Coe said, “but once they (the International Olympic Committee and the Japanese government) have made it, we will look at what, if any, impact that decision has on our World Athletics Championships Oregon 21.” Many expect the championships in Eugene, Oregon, to be moved to 2022. Athletics’ global governing body also hopes to provide an answer as soon as possible to any changes to the Tokyo Olympics qualifying process, Coe said.World Athletics began reviewing its Olympic qualification process after the IOC and sports federations agreed that all athletes currently qualified for the Tokyo 2020 Games will remain qualified for next year’s event. “In athletics the primary qualification avenue is by meeting the entry standards set out in March 2019,” Coe added.“Once those places are allocated, the remaining athletes are drawn from the world ranking list. As of today, all athletes who have met the entry standards for their event will remain qualified for the Tokyo Olympic Games in 2021. This is approximately 50% of the places.” A major review is also underway of the global calendar of events, not just for the next two years which will see some major disruptions, but for the long term.The decision comes as athletics’ Diamond League series announced on Friday it has cancelled its meetings through June but hopes to have a late season.“The priority for all of us right now is to contain the pandemic, stay healthy and stay home,” Coe said, “but where we can, continue to drive our sport forward.“The world will not be the same after this pandemic.”last_img read more

Amid fervor of season opener, Lakers’ Luke Walton stresses process

first_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREUCLA alum Kenny Clark signs four-year contract extension with PackersWith a team full of young stars looking to make an impact in the NBA, progress isn’t necessarily going to be judged in wins and losses, although everyone acknowledges some wins, after four seasons in which they won no more than 27 games, would be nice.“It’s the way we prep for practice,” Walton said. “It’s the way we work, preseason games, regular season games. We have to have that same type of mindset. Obviously, we hope that mindset is a little more intense tonight. We’re looking again to see carryover from what we do on the practice floor.”Video: Lakers react to blow out season-opening loss vs. ClippersEarlier in the week Walton said that on defense, the focal point of his training camp, the Lakers would sometimes be willing to sacrifice points for sticking to their principles. It’s a very un-sexy approach for a team that many in L.A. are dying to fall in love with.But even Walton couldn’t deny the excitement of turning the page to a new season and its first game.“You get butterflies when you wake up in the morning,” he said. “It’s a great day. How many jobs do you have as a grown up where you get that excited, you get butterflies going to work?“We get to get out there and compete on the big stage, so we’re excited about tonight.”RANDLE ON BENCHAmong the subplots of the buildup to Thursday’s opener was Walton’s starting lineup. A battle between Julius Randle and Larry Nance Jr. created intrigue in the frontcourt, the two-game suspension of Kentavious Caldwell-Pope created one more opening.In the end – well, really in the beginning – Walton went with Nance, who started the last three preseason games along Brook Lopez. Luol Deng, persona non grata a season ago, slid into the starting five.“The tricky part is finding who plays well together,” Walton said before the lineup was revealed. “It’s not just about getting the best players on the court and calling them your starting five.”Tell that to Julius Randle, who started 73 of 74 games last season, when he seemed firmly entrenched as a starter after bouncing in and out of then-coach Byron Scott’s preferred lineup in 2015-16. That year, Randle came off the bench 21 times.Walton did not sound like he was in a rush to give Randle another shot, either.“We have a lineup for now,” he said. “We’re going to keep evaluating as the season goes, but we’re not planning on changing but if changes need to happen then we make changes.”center_img LOS ANGELES — It was the most anticipated Lakers’ regular-season opener in recent memory, signaling the arrival of young stars and the hope they represented.Amid the fervor surrounding the new-look Lakers and especially rookie point guard Lonzo Ball, Coach Luke Walton continued to stress the sort of incremental progress that has defined his tenure, which on Thursday officially entered its second season when the Lakers faced the Clippers at Staples Center.Training camp was a week shorter than past seasons, part of the effort to lengthen the regular season.“We’re just getting better at the things we’ve been doing,” Walton said. “That’s why I keep talking about the journey that we’re on. Today’s obviously another step of that, but it’s just another day.”last_img read more

Croatia beats Denmark on penalties, sets up QF vs Russia

first_imgJury of 7 men, 5 women selected for Harvey Weinstein rape trial Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Taal victims get help from Kalayaan town Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Croatians players clebrates after the penalties during the round of 16 match between Croatia and Denmark at the 2018 soccer World Cup in the Nizhny Novgorod Stadium, in Nizhny Novgorod, Russia, Sunday, July 1, 2018. Croatia eliminates Denmark 3-2 on penalties after game ends 1-1. (AP Photo/Gregorio Borgia)NIZHNY NOVGOROD, Russia — Danijel Subasic saved three penalties to help Croatia reach the World Cup quarterfinals with a 3-2 shootout victory over Denmark following a 1-1 draw on Sunday.Ivan Rakitic scored the decisive penalty after Subasic had used his feet to stop an attempt from Nicolai Jorgensen.ADVERTISEMENT The teams stayed even for the next 116 minutes, including the 30 minutes of extra time.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding Christopher Tolkien, son of Lord of the Rings author, dies aged 95center_img View comments MOST READ Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown Bicol riders extend help to Taal evacuees LATEST STORIES Croatia captain Luka Modric, who also scored in the shootout, had a chance to put his team ahead late in injury time but his penalty was saved by Denmark goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel.Croatia will next face host Russia in the quarterfinals on Saturday in Sochi.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownDenmark took the lead in the first minute when defender Mathias Jorgensen scrambled in a shot that went in off Subasic’s left hand and then the left post. It was Denmark’s fastest ever World Cup goal.Croatia equalized in the fourth minute with another untidy goal at Nizhny Novgorod Stadium. Henrik Dalsgaard’s clearance hit a teammate and fell for Croatia forward Mario Mandzukic to hook the ball in. Cloudy skies over Luzon due to amihan Serena Williams says it’s unfair she’s drug-tested morelast_img read more

HISTORY-MAKERS AS GLENGAD WIN FIRST EVER ULSTER JUNIOR CUP

first_imgGlengad Utd 0 Gweedore Celtic 0. (Glengad won 4-2 on pens) Inishowen League side Glengad Utd won the Ulster Junior cup for the first time but only after overcoming a dogged and determined Gweedore Celtic side at Ballyare this evening.Glengad started well and John Mc Daid got over a cross but David Mc Gee charged down Terence Doherty’s shot. In the next attack Paul Rua Mc Bride put in a great challenge to stop John G. Mc Laughlin. Gweedore threatened on twenty minutes when Thoma Diver seized on a mix up between Gerard Crossan and one of his defenders, but Crossan did well to force him wide and the danger was averted.In the next attack Eamonn Curran got in a great challenge to stop Terence Doherty again. Minutes later Glengad were awarded a free wide on the right.Terence Doherty got a foot to the inswinger but Michael McKelvey pulled off a superb save. The half continued with Glengad pressing and when Terence Doherty found Michael Byrne, McKelvey again produced a great save.The second half continued in much the same vein with Glengad pressing and Gweedore tackling doggedly. On sixty minutes John G. Mc Laughlin rounded Chris Porter on the byeline but Michael Mc Kelvey saved bravely at his feet. From the resulting corner John G. Mc Laughlins header was headed off the line by Kevin Friel. Glengad continued to dominate but Gweedore refused to yield with Damien O’Sullivan and Cathal Campbell working like trojans in midfield.In the ensuing extra time Glengad still had the lion’s share of possession with Thomas Diver and Brendan Mc Geady posing an occasional threat for Gweedore. And so to the dreaded penalty shoot out. Michael Byrne(Glengad) and Chris Porter(Gweedore) both scored. Michal Mc kelvey saved John G. Mc Laughlins effort and Gerard Crossan saved Johnny Mc Ginty’s. Adam Byrne(Glengad) converted but Paul Rua Mc Bride shot over for Gweedore.With Patrick Mc Dermott(Glengad) and Jamie Boyle(Gweedore) scoring, Terence Doherty stepped up and scored the decisive penalty for Glengad. Overall Glengad were deserving winners but Gweeedore showed great heart and pride right to the finish.Referee: Kevin Logue. Linesmen: Marty Quinn and Joe Mc Hugh. HISTORY-MAKERS AS GLENGAD WIN FIRST EVER ULSTER JUNIOR CUP was last modified: April 27th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Glengad UnitedGweedoreJunior Cup Finallast_img read more