H1N1 FLU BREAKING NEWS: Cases top 5,000; first cases in Cuba, Thailand, Finland; pregnancy risk; restocking stockpile; infected hospital workers

first_imgMay 12, 2009Global novel H1N1 flu cases surpass 5,000The global count of novel H1N1 influenza (swine flu) case confirmations has increased to 5,251 from 30 countries, the World Health Organization (WHO) reported today. The total includes 2,059 cases with 56 deaths in Mexico and 2,600 cases and 3 deaths reported in the United States as of yesterday. Canada has had 330 cases and 1 death, and Costa Rica has reported 8 cases and 1 death.[WHO update 26]US H1N1 cases top 3,000The number of confirmed H1N1 cases in the United States rose to 3,009 and 3 deaths in 45 states today, an increase of 409 since yesterday’s update, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported today. The number of states reporting cases rose by one, as Montana reported its first case. Yesterday CDC official Anne Schuchat, MD, said at a press briefing that many states don’t report flu cases over the weekend, so the agency expected a big increase in the H1N1 count today.[Current CDC numbers]Cuba confirms first H1N1 case, accuses Mexico of hiding outbreakCuba’s health ministry yesterday announced the nation’s first novel H1N1 case, in a Mexican medical student who was studying at a clinic in Cuba and had recently returned from a visit to his home country, the Associated Press (AP) reported. A few hours later, Fidel Castro, Cuba’s former president, posted a column on the government’s Web site accusing Mexico of hiding the flu outbreak until after US President Obama’s visit in April.[May 11 AP story]Thailand, Finland report first novel flu casesTwo more countries—Thailand and Finland—confirmed their first novel H1N1 cases today, the Australian Associated Press (AAP) reported. Thailand reported two cases in people who had traveled to Mexico, and Finland also confirmed two, though few details were available. The four cases are not included in today’s WHO total.[May 12 AAP story]CDC warns about flu risk in pregnant womenAt a news briefing today, Dr. Anne Schuchat of the CDC warned that pregnant women are at increased risk for flu complications such as pneumonia, dehydration, and premature labor, especially with the novel H1N1 strain. She said the CDC is investigating 20 cases of the disease in pregnant women, a few of whom have had severe complications, and one fatality, a previously reported Texas woman. Schuchat urged prompt antiviral treatment for pregnant women.[May 12 CDC briefing transcript]Roche donation restocks WHO Tamiflu stockpileRoche, the maker of Tamiflu (oseltamivir), announced today that it is donating 5.65 million treatment courses to the WHO to replenish a 2-million-course regional outbreak stockpile and a 3-million-course rapid-response stockpile. The donation also establishes a pediatric stockpile of 650,000 courses. Production capacity will reach 110 million courses over the next 5 months and will amount to 36 million courses per month by the end of the year if needed.[May 12 Roche press release]Novel H1N1 infections reported in Toronto hospital workersFour workers at two Toronto hospitals, one of whom had contact with patients, have tested positive for the novel H1N1 flu, the Toronto Star reported today. Two of the employees were reportedly exposed to the virus in the community, and one of them passed it on to two coworkers. A hospital spokeswoman said so far no novel H1N1 infections have been reported in any patients that had contact with the sick staff members.[May 12 Toronto Star story]last_img read more

Dirk Nowitzki accepts bench role with Mavericks

first_imgAfter Russia vote, anti-doping group calls WADA compromised Allen Durham still determined to help Meralco win 1st PBA title Gov’t to employ 6,000 displaced by Taal Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award View comments Phivolcs: Slim probability of Taal Volcano caldera eruption LATEST STORIES Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil “It’s all about winning, at the end of the day. Whatever puts us in the best position to win is what we’re going to roll with, and coach Carlisle has obviously shown over his time here that he’s willing to try anything.”Nowitzki was the ninth overall pick in the 1998 entry draft and was acquired by the Mavericks via a trade with the Milwaukee Bucks.The 13-time all-star is the most decorated Maverick in franchise history. He was named Most Valuable Player of the 2006-07 season and MVP of the 2011 NBA finals. Nowitzki is only international player with more than 30,000 career NBA points.ADVERTISEMENT Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew The 40-year-old has been a starter throughout his career, but coach Rick Carlisle said he expects to use the veteran “off the bench” this year, with new arrival DeAndre Jordan starting.“At this point, and Dirk knows this, we talked about it, we have to move the franchise forward the right way,” Carlisle said during the Mavericks media day.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissNowitzki said he had been expecting to be relegated to the bench after the arrival of Jordan.“When we signed DeAndre, it was pretty much clear in my head that I’m coming off the bench,” Nowitzki said. Dirk Nowitzki #41 of the Dallas Mavericks poses for a portrait during the Dallas Mavericks Media Day held at American Airlines Center on September 21, 2018 in Dallas, Texas. Tom Pennington/Getty Images/AFPDallas Mavericks veteran Dirk Nowitzki is ready to start his record 21st consecutive NBA season from the bench, the team confirmed Friday.German star Nowitzki, who will become the first player in NBA history to play 21 seasons with the same club, re-signed with Dallas in July.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plumlast_img read more


first_imgEmergency response crews from Donegal County Council have responded to 25 call outs in the last few hours due to the current storm.The road to the Gartan OUtdoor Centre was blocked by this fallen tree.And the council says it is continuing to respond to calls and reports of fallen trees throughout the county.“We are asking all motorists and road users to take extra care today and high sided vehicles should continue to avoid crossing Mulroy Bridge this morning. “It is forecasted that high speed winds will reduce as the day goes on with more settled conditions expected this evening,” said a spokesman.For all updates on road conditions this Winter follow Donegal County Council on Twitter @donegalcouncil or @roadsDCC or on our Facebook page.Any reports of fallen trees blocking roads should be reported to Donegal County Council on 074 91 53900.COUNCIL CONFIRMS IT HAS RESPONDED TO 25 EMERGENCY CALL-OUTS DURING STORM was last modified: December 5th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Donegal County Councilemergency callsstormlast_img read more


first_imgThis week The Daily Telegraph newspaper printed an obituary to one Major Ian Smith. Smith had more than a colourful life which included a spell managing a fish farm in Co Donegal in the late 1970s. We invite comments at the end of the article if anyone happens to remember him.In April 1944 a bombing raid on coastal defences near Deauville was reported to have set off a series of flashes on the beach. Four reconnaissance operations, code-named Tarbrush, were therefore mounted at short notice to examine mines and obstacles in the region — though not on the D-Day beaches themselves for fear of attracting attention to them. In May, Smith was called to Combined Operations HQ for a top-level briefing. His orders were to find out whether explosive devices had been attached to the tops of stakes that the Germans had erected on the beaches. If they had, when detonated they might buckle the doors of the landing craft and the soldiers trapped inside would be sitting targets.On the moonless night of May 16, Smith, at the head of a small detachment of 10 (Inter-Allied) Commando, embarked from Dover in an MTB. Their engine-powered dory was dropped a mile offshore and they landed by dinghy east of Calais.Armed with a Sten gun and accompanied by a sapper, Smith crawled up the beach. The smell of cigarette smoke alerted them to the presence of a sentry. Then they heard German spoken. The guard was being changed.The sapper groped his way up one of the stakes and found an anti-tank Teller mine nailed to the top. Having decided not to remove it because the sentry would be sure to hear the noise, they returned to their dory, slid over the side and paddled until they were far enough from the beach to start the engine. They transmitted their call sign by “S” phone, an early “walkie-talkie”, but received no answer from the MTB. A ship approached them and, turning on its searchlight, scanned the sea. The Germans permitted no fishing at night, and Smith feared that it was one of their armed naval trawlers.They flattened themselves on the bottom of the dory. The vessel sailed past only a few yards away, and Smith said afterwards: “How it did not see us, I shall never know.” Some minutes later it turned about and, directed by its radar or shore radar, loosed off some heavy gunfire in their direction.Just as it was getting very close there came a sudden ringing of bells and shouted orders and, having apparently become stuck on a sand bank, it stopped. Smith and his party eventually found the MTB, which had moved out to sea to avoid the trawler. Smith celebrated the success of the operation in a series of Dover hostelries and became so inebriated that his batman had to take him home in a wheelbarrow. He was awarded a Bar to an earlier MC.Ian Christopher Downs Smith was born at Keynsham, near Bristol, on April 22 1920 and educated at Wycliffe College. In 1939, as a cadet at Sandhurst, he was one of a party taken to Aldershot to see an armoured division. Interspersed with a few tanks were soldiers holding up green flags. When asked what they were doing, they sprang to attention and replied: “I am a Mark II Tank, sir.”Smith played rugby for Sandhurst, Harlequins and the Army. Shortly after being commissioned into the Royal Army Service Corps, he volunteered to join No 2 Commando, the precursor of the Parachute Regiment, later termed the 1st Battalion Parachute Regiment, and trained at Ringway, where he and his comrades were reviewed by a disgruntled Churchill who was counting on getting many more volunteers.In 1940 he moved to Lochailort in Scotland, where he was trained in unarmed combat, pistol shooting and explosives. A spell at Achnacarry as an instructor in fieldcraft was followed by a posting to No 12 Commando. He then moved to Shetland to work with a Norwegian motor torpedo boat flotilla and was based at Sullom Voe. On reconnaissance missions to spy on the shipping in Norwegian territorial waters, they set off from Lerwick and hoisted the German naval ensign as they approached the coast. After creeping down a narrow channel in the cliff face, they docked, camouflaging the boat during the hours of daylight.Smith was then ordered to the Isle of Wight, where he became part of Fynn Force, based at Freshwater Bay. In September 1943 he was part of a small unit that was landed between Dieppe and Le Havre to report on the enemy’s coastal defences. Forbidden to use radio signals, they were provided with carrier pigeons to send back their information. But when they released one of the birds, it was promptly killed by a peregrine falcon; a second pigeon met the same fate.In December that year Smith and a small group embarked at Newhaven and crossed the Channel in an MTB on a reconnaissance mission. They landed on the north coast of France near Criel-Sur-Mer and had a difficult climb to the top of the cliff. Smith returned with valuable information on the German defences, but on the way back to the MTB they were almost cut off by a fast-moving enemy convoy, and Smith needed all his navigating skills to elude it. He was awarded his first MC, the citation stating that he had led eight previous operations of a similar type.Shortly before D-Day, Smith was recruited by the SOE and flew to Italy. In Bari, he was told that he was to be dropped into Yugoslavia to join Brigadier Fitzroy Maclean’s mission and serve as British Liaison Officer with the 5th Partisan Corps in Bosnia. As he parachuted down, he heard a voice call out: “In a hurry, are you sir?” It was Corporal Nash, his signaller and bodyguard, whom he had overtaken because he was much heavier. Sharing a nomadic life in the mountains with the partisans, he was constantly on the move dodging enemy patrols as he arranged for supply drops of food and arms, called in air support when an attack was launched against the Germans and helped evacuate those who were badly wounded or downed American airmen.On the way back to Bari in a Tank Landing Ship, Smith was enjoying a shot of Navy rum with the boatswain when the steel walls of the cabin bent inwards as if they had received a blow from a gigantic hammer. A Liberty ship, loaded with thousands of tons of high explosives had blown up, causing devastation in the Italian port and great loss of life.Smith was then attached to the Special Boat Squadron and commanded a small force in Crete. Living in a large cave and based in the east of the island, their task was to watch the remnants of the German and Italian occupiers and report back to their base.A spell on the Greek mainland, followed by a raid on the Dalmatian island of Cres, brought Smith’s active service to an end. When the war ended, he was promoted to major, and after commanding an RASC unit at Bicester he went up to Jesus College, Cambridge, to learn Russian.He was then posted to Minden in western Germany, where he interrogated deserters from the Soviet forces who were suspected of being agents posing as refugees. In 1947 he joined the family textile business at Stockport, Cheshire, eventually moving with the firm to Wales. He then managed a hotel for five years. In the 1970s he moved to Co Donegal, where he started a fish farm.In August 1974 Smith was driving a car near Randalstown, Northern Ireland, when he was forced to stop by three armed masked men. They tied him up, put a bomb in his car and then ordered him to drive into town and park by an electrical shop. They told him that they would follow him and shoot him if he did not do what they wanted and that the bomb was timed to go off in 20 minutes. At the shop there were several members of the RUC, who told him not to stop but to drive out of town. He found a field, left the car and ran for his life. The bomb exploded on time.Smith spent the last decade of his life in Northern Ireland. Watching rugby matches was his favourite recreation.Ian Smith married, in 1944, Margaret (Peggy) Cropper. She predeceased him, and he is survived by their son. A daughter predeceased him.Major Ian Smith, born April 22 1920, died May 3 2012DOES ANYONE REMEMBER MAJOR SMITH – THE DONEGAL FISH FARM OWNER? was last modified: May 22nd, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:donegalfish farmMajor Ian Smithlast_img read more