2018 Soca Monarch launches

first_imgAfter a two-year hiatus, the 2018 Carib Soca Monarch was launched at the Department of Culture, Education Ministry.The competition, which is slated for February 10 and 17, will see 15 performers competing for the grand prize of $1.5 million.At the press conference on Monday, Minister with responsibility for culture, Dr George Norton highlighted that the competition will now be under the purview of the Central Mash Committee. Minister Norton also stated that music is the bloodline of the Mashramani festival and urged local deejays and promoters to get involved in the publicising of the competition’s music.Minister with responsibility for culture, Dr George NortonCompetition Coordinator, Nigel Worrell, noted they received a total of 18 entries which was fine-tuned to a total of 15 semi-finalists. Those semi-finalists are Alisha “Sasha Melody” Hamid, Brandon Harding, Colwin “Lil Colwin” Blair, Colwyn “Soca Colwyn” Abrams, Delon “Soca Del” Azore, Diana Chapman, Jonathan “Lil Red” King, Keron “Norek Mas” Sam, Melissa “Vanilla” Roberts, Quacy “Avalanche” Coates, Roger “Young Bill Rogers” Hinds, Roshauna Fraser, Samantha Grant, Shellon “Fluffy” Gally and Stanton “Cardiac” Lewis.These 15 contestants will be heading to the mining town of Linden on February 10 for the semi-final leg of the competition, where five contestants will be eliminated. Then the remaining 10 will head to D’Urban Park in Georgetown to compete for the grand prize on February 17. They will be judged on lyrics, melody, rendition, diction and musical arrangement.The first prize winner will receive $1.5 million, 2nd prize $700,000; 3rd prize $500,000 and 4th prize $400,000. The Ministry is seeking to collaborate with a local telephone company to implement a People’s Choice Award which will see the winner receiving one hundred thousand dollars. The eleven newcomers will all be vying for the US$1000 prize of Best New Comer.last_img read more

RCMP on scene at a residence in Chetwynd

first_imgCHETWYND, B.C. – RCMP are currently at the scene of a residence in Chetwynd.According to Cpl. Madonna Saunderson, there is currently an unfolding event with a heavy police presence at a residence in Chetwynd.Saunderson says there are very little details on this incident at this time but she can say that the RCMP were called to the residence at 1:43 a.m. on Thursday morning and that the incident is believed to be isolated to the one specific residence.- Advertisement -RCMP will release further details when more information becomes available.last_img read more

CLEARY CENTRE ALL SET FOR MOVE TO NEW PREMISES

first_imgSinn Féin Councillor Noel Jordan has today welcomed the announcement that the Cleary Centre will this month complete the move of its services to the recently refurbished Victor Building premises next to Donegal Town’s Craft Village.The centre, which has provided services for people with intellectual disabilities in south Donegal for more than twenty years, will now accommodate all existing service users at the new facility following approval having been granted by the HSE earlier this year to lease the premises.Cllr Jordan said: “The hard fought campaign by the Parents’ and Friends’ Association of the Cleary Centre to allow for service users to be relocated to a more suitable facility was a huge achievement when it was first confirmed last February.“For over two decades, the centre has offered exceptional care and services to people with intellectual disabilities in the south of the county and has been a great source of support for them and their families“I am now delighted that it’s been announced that the relocation of these services, which were previously housed in the Cleary Centre building, will now be transferred to the Victor Building Complex and that the move will be completed this month.“This is a fantastic result for the Parents and Friends’ group and all those who campaigned strongly for this move to take place, and I want to take this opportunity to wish them and the staff every success in their new surroundings. “Now that this service transfer has almost been completed, I will once again be raising the need for officials in Donegal County Council to re-examine the possibility of improving access for service users to the facility following my motion earlier this year in which I called on the authority to address the need to improve the footpath out to the new facility for the benefit of all those using the service.”CLEARY CENTRE ALL SET FOR MOVE TO NEW PREMISES was last modified: June 14th, 2016 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:CLEARY CENTREDonegal Townlast_img read more