LONDON (CMC):Somerset officials said they were anxiously anticipating Chris Gayle’s appearance in the Twenty20 Blast later this year, after the West Indies batting star signed off on a six-match deal to represent the English county.The 36-year-old Jamaican had a massive impact when he played in last year’s tournament, smashing scores of 92, 151 not out and 85 not out to pile up 328 runs in just three games.Director of Cricket Matthew Maynard said the club was already looking forward to Gayle’s presence.”We are absolutely delighted to have secured the services of Chris Gayle once again. He is a genuinely world-class player and was absolutely phenomenal for us last year,” Maynard said.”He is probably the biggest name in the sport at the moment and his performances in the Big Bash recently have only underlined his status as one of the most explosive players that cricket has ever seen.Club chief executive Guy Lavender said what had been even more impressive about Gayle during his stint with Somerset last year was his community involvement and charity work.This aspect, Lavender pointed out, had been a key factor in extending the relationship with the superstar left-hander.”Everyone sees the runs that he scores, but not everyone will be aware of his willingness to help off the pitch. It is these two elements which have maintained our desire to ensure that he would be back with us in 2016.”Gayle is arguably the most valued T20 batsman in the international game and is coming off a successful outing in the Australia Big Bash for Melbourne Stars.His stint for Somerset will run from June 1-17 following his campaign in the Indian Premier League, and Gayle says he is keen on helping Somerset qualify for the advanced rounds of the competition.”I really enjoyed my time at Somerset last year. It’s a great Club and the supporters were absolutely incredible,” Gayle said.”I’m looking forward to seeing the fans again and to scoring some more runs. Hopefully, I can help the club make it through to the later stages of the NatWest T20 Blast.”
FOOTBALL:KINGSTON:Local scrimmage players are gearing up to showcase their skill on a global stage, when the Guinness Street Football Competition (GSFC) kicks off on March 1.Now in its sixth year, the GSFC will give Jamaican street footballers a chance to prove they are made of more, while increasing their exposure to international game play.The Jamaica Football Federation (JFF)-endorsed event will kick-off with parish playoffs for Hanover and Westmoreland on March 12. Teams can sign up for the four-a-side scrimmage online at www.gsfcjamaica.com, via social media or by calling the GSFC Hotline at 618-9291.Sixteen randomly selected teams will then play for the parish title. Parish winners all go on to play for the national title and an all-expenses paid trip to St Lucia to compete against other Caribbean teams in the GSFC finals.?For Guinness, community development and the game of football are at the heart of who we are as a brand. We are excited to give Jamaicans an opportunity to shine in the premier street football tournament of the Caribbean,? said Imru James, brand manager for Guinness and Stouts at Red Stripe. ?We want to see our teams do well at home as well as in the international arena.?Last year, Jamaica had the honour of hosting the finals, but this year?s ultimate contest will be staged in St Lucia, the home of the reigning champions. This means the winning Jamaican team will get a chance to travel in addition to cash prizes at each level of the competition.?There is no lack of opportunity with this competition,? said James. ?Our players are competing just as competitively as in any national league to prove they are made of more and the opportunities that come with the competition are second to none.?The national champion will claim their portion of the $1.3m up for grabs and gain a shot at US$6,000 if they take home the big prize in St Lucia. Guinness will fund the cost of travel, including accommodation, along with spending money for the team.
0Shares0000Huddersfield end Man United unbeaten runLONDON, United Kingdom, Oct 21 – Manchester United fell to a shock 2-1 defeat at promoted Huddersfield Town on Saturday as Pep Guardiola’s free-scoring Manchester City moved five points clear at the Premier League summit.Aaron Mooy and Laurent Depoitre scored at the John Smith’s Stadium to give Huddersfield a first win over United since 1952 and condemn Jose Mourinho’s side to their first loss of the campaign. United, who drew 0-0 at Liverpool last weekend, replied through half-time substitute Marcus Rashford.City took full advantage by beating Burnley 3-0, with Sergio Aguero equalling Eric Brook’s all-time club scoring record of 177 goals.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
A light-hearted look at the weekend’s sporting action with comedy duo Bob Mortimer and Andy Dawson.They are joined by Fred Sirieix, the maitre d’ from First Dates, and Brendan Sheerin from Coach Trip, to discuss all sorts of antics and nonsense.