Liberia May Rectify Arms Treaty Trade ‘Shortly’

first_imgThe president of the West African Action Network on Small Arms (WAANSA), Mr. Baffour Amoa, has disclosed that Liberia will “very shortly rectify” the Arms Trade Treaty (ATT) which has been signed by at least 130 nations, including Liberia.The ATT, which was signed on April 2, 2013 by those 130 nations, has only been rectified by 66 nations. Of that that number, 10 African nations have rectified it. Among the 10, seven are in the West Africa region.The WAANSA president, who met with journalists and civil society advocates over the weekend, said his two-man delegation had discussions with senior level Liberian government officials and was able to push for Liberia’s rectification of the treaty to which it was already a signatory.Mr. Amoa disclosed that a senior security advisor in the government had assured him that the document would be rectified anytime this week. Among those his delegation conferred with are the President, Senate officials, National Security Advisors and Defense Ministry officials.  On reasons why the rectification of the document had been delayed from the Liberian government side, Mr. Amoa told the Daily Observer that officials he spoke with had cited “administrative matters” as the cause of the delay.Asked how Liberia stands to benefit when the ATT is rectified by the Legislature, the WAANSA president said, “Liberia and the rest of West Africa hope to achieve less proliferation of arms in this region.” He also stated that every arm and ammunition entering into Liberia will be marked and accounted for, beginning with the manufacturers and end-users.The Treaty, Mr. Amoa explained, requires all member states to present a list of weapons that would be regulated under the treaty. “The treaty also stipulates that states register and recognize all arms brokers within their borders,” he said warning that sanctions would be imposed on any member nation which goes against the treaty.The other ATT delegate, Mr. Amandou Musa Maigon, president, West Africa Journalists’ Network for Security, Peace and Development, stated that most times it is the ordinary people who suffer the most as a result of arms conflict.Mr. Maigon, who is the vice president for WAANSA, urged civil society representatives at the meeting to lobby with state actors to rectify the Treaty.The objectives of the Treaty are to establish the highest possible common international standards for regulating or improving the regulation of the international trade in conventional arms; prevent and eradicate the illicit trade in conventional arms and prevent their diversion.Its goals are also to contribute to international and regional peace, security and stability; reduce human suffering; and promote cooperation, transparency and responsible action by State Parties in the international trade in conventional arms, thereby building confidence among State Parties.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

IPL: How Kochi didn’t crumble

first_imgAt around 2.30 a.m. on November 27, after hectic week-long confabulations where Ravi Gaekwad, Satyajit Gaekwad, Chintan Vohra, Mehul Shah and Harshad Mehta tried desperately to hammer out a deal to save the Kochi IPL franchise, all five finally veered towards some sort of an understanding. The five, who had,At around 2.30 a.m. on November 27, after hectic week-long confabulations where Ravi Gaekwad, Satyajit Gaekwad, Chintan Vohra, Mehul Shah and Harshad Mehta tried desperately to hammer out a deal to save the Kochi IPL franchise, all five finally veered towards some sort of an understanding. The five, who had met repeatedly over the previous seven days at Rendezvous Sports World’s Worli office and Anchor Earth’s office on Hughes Road in Mumbai, decided to embark on the last pit stop of what was a gruelling journey. They drove towards Juhu where another key investor, Mukesh Patel of Parinee Developers, lives. Finally at close to 4.37 a.m., Patel was on board and the franchise had been saved after much persuasion from the Gaekwads. Despite a late protest from Shailendra Gaekwad, who was opposed to the idea of diluting the Rendezvous equity, they finally agreed to agree.IPL Kochi ShareholdersSpeaking to INDIA TODAY, Satyajit said, “The past is behind us. Earlier we were consortium partners, but now we are a family.”  That is just about all he is saying. So are other members of the ‘family’ who seemed bound by Omerta, the code of silence. Anchor Earth promoter Mehul Shah was equally reticent when he said that the consortium members have decided not to speak on the issue while another partner, Vivek Venugopal, was perfunctory when he said that “everything was on track.”When the original bid was devised, it was agreed that the Gaekwads-Satyajit, Shailendra and Ravi (Shailendra and Ravi are brothers while Satyajit is a distant relative) – or Rendezvous Sports World, in whose name the title rights were vested, would get free equity of 25 per cent and pay only for 1 per cent at Rs 1.33 crore. What is not widely known is that the 26 per cent equity was broken up in this manner-the Gaekwads were to get only 10 per cent of this (10 per cent free plus one paid) and Sunanda Pushkar, who later married Shashi Tharoor, was to get 5 per cent as sweat equity towards her contribution in bringing MNC sponsors for the franchise. Another 10 per cent was reserved for the brand ambassador (this was for an important person who would add value to the brand).advertisementTharoor with SunandaI have no plans to associate myself with IPL Kochi in the future. I’ll keep my distance and support them from outside.- Shashi Tharoor, IPL Kochi brand ambassadorTharoor, who is probably the most aggrieved of all the parties associated with this venture because he lost his job, says, “I have no plans to associate with them in the future, other than watch matches played by the Kochi team. I am happy that a compromise was reached between the warring factions. This is great news for all the young Keralites who are enthused by the fact that they now have an IPL team. I am going to keep my distance and support them from the outside.”Speculation has been rife in the past that the job of brand ambassador was reserved for Sunil Gavaskar. Sources close to the franchise said that Kochi was initially keen on Gavaskar as a crucial member of the advisory board to give specific inputs on cricket. This plan may be revived now that the problems have been resolved. Gavaskar is friends with both sides. The earlier arrangement was to have the Gaekwads in lead position in the unregistered joint venture where they paid all the expenses leading up to the bid.Once the discredited Lalit Modi tweeted and outed Pushkar’s name, there was a furore. The fracas died down with the BCCI deciding that Kochi will stay on as a franchise in Season 4. But in the interim, the paid investors led by Mehul Shah, Chintan Vohra and Harshad Mehta and company decided to flex their muscles. The pushing and pulling created intractable differences. At the centre of the conflict was the free equity given to the Gaekwads. By pressuring the Gaekwads to bring down their equity from 26 to 10 per cent, the biggest beneficiary is Venugopal, whose stake has risen from 1 to 5 per cent. Similarly, Shah’s Anchor is now the single largest shareholder with 31.4 per cent (up 4.4 per cent), while Patel has increased his stake by 4.6 per cent.Suddenly, there was a volte face by the paid investors who wanted to grab the reins. The pressure game mounted as they argued for the paring of the free equity component. The Gaekwads also played hardball, refusing to back down. They even floated a trial balloon, saying that they were willing to bring in additional investment and would be willing to pay for some of their free equity at the rate of Rs 1.33 crore per percentage share. The paid investors rejected this notion outright as they didn’t want any new investor to join this band of brothers.advertisementAll this happened despite Shah’s faction sending a legitimate letter of termination to the BCCI. The reason why the BCCI gave the franchise another opportunity was because its legal rights were vested in Rendezvous Sports World. Over those seven days, the Gaekwads forsake control of the franchise by building a new entity, Kochi Cricket Pvt Ltd, which has all six partners as board directors.Investors and their stakes in IPL Kochi Season 4It is still not clear who will represent the Gaekwads on the board: it could be either Shailendra or Satyajit, and this decision will be taken by the board meeting this weekend. The board will now take all decisions and committees have already been formed to independently look after marketing, branding and cricketing, which is believed to be with the Gaekwads.The loose confederation had also prepared the tentpoles by registering the new entity, Kochi Cricket Pvt Ltd.How does the new arrangement work? The new working relationship has the paid investor lot coughing up for the entire 26 per cent that was once owned by the Gaekwads or Rendezvous. They have paid for this equity at the rate of Rs 1.33 crore to the authorised share capital of the company. Based on this principle, the investors have paid Rs 133 crore as the authorised share capital of the new company.Patel sums up the situation by taking recourse to God and fate, “Every human commits mistakes and if a man does not commit a mistake, God makes him commit a mistake so that he can correct himself. Everyone had his own understanding of issues.” Brave words for an outfit that was teetering on the precipice.last_img read more

Player of the Week: James Yap clutch as Rain or Shine stays on top

first_imgJames Yap. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netJames Yap may be past his prime but he still has a lot left in his tank.The Rain or Shine swingman has been on a tear through the first eight games of the season and his torrid start has been one of the big reasons why the Elasto Painters have emerged as the top team so far in the 2019 PBA Philippine Cup.ADVERTISEMENT US judge bars Trump’s health insurance rule for immigrants Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes His vintage showing earned him the PBA Press Corp Player of the Week citation and helped the quarterfinals-bound Painters improve to 7-1.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Yap, who just turned 37 on Friday, isn’t as quick and explosive as before but remains one of the deadliest players in crunch time.He delivered a couple more clutch performances for the Painters just before the league headed into its two-week break to give way for the Philippine men’s national basketball team.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine ‍football chiefSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesThe four-time Finals MVP had a pair of 18-point outings in Rain or Shine’s last three games and both of those occasions, he came through for his squad down the stretch.The Negros Occidental native completed the game-winning three-point play to beat Magnolia, 75-74, last Wednesday just five days after burying a triple with under three minutes left that put Rain or Shine ahead for good in a 107-100 win over NorthPort. LATEST STORIES PDEA chief backs Robredo in revealing ‘discoveries’ on drug war SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Grace Poe files bill to protect govt teachers from malicious accusations Oil plant explodes in Pampanga town View comments Jeremy Miado out to prove quick KO no fluke in rematch vs Thai foe MOST READ Urgent reply from Philippine ‍football chieflast_img read more

Timeline of events in British Columbia homicide manhunt

first_imgWINNIPEG — Police say they believe they have found the bodies of two young men who were wanted in the deaths of three people in northern B.C. Here’s a timeline of events:July 15 — The bodies of a man and a woman are found near a blue van on the Alaska Highway, also known as Highway 97, near Liard Hot Springs, B.C.July 17 — RCMP say the deaths are suspicious.July 18 — RCMP announce Australian Lucas Fowler, 23, and his 24-year-old American girlfriend, Chynna Deese, are homicide victims. Meanwhile, in Jade City, B.C., Kam McLeod, 19, and Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, are spotted in a store where they stopped for free coffee. Jade City is about 350 kilometres from where the two bodies were found.July 19 — Police announce the body of a man has been found two kilometres from a burned-out truck belonging to McLeod and Schmegelsky near Dease Lake, B.C. The two teens are missing. Dease Lake is about 470 kilometres from the first crime scene.July 21 — McLeod and Schmegelsky are spotted in Cold Lake, Alta., where a local resident, not knowing who they are, helps them free a stuck Toyota Rav 4 they are driving. The are also captured on security camera footage at a store in Meadow Lake, Sask.July 22 — Mounties say Fowler and Deese were shot. They release composite sketches of a man seen speaking with the couple on the highway where they were found dead and a sketch of the unidentified man found dead near the burned truck. Fowler’s father, an Australian police inspector, pleads for public help in the investigation. At the same time, band constables with Tataskweyak Cree Nation at Split Lake in northern Manitoba talk with McLeod and Schmegelsky at a checkstop, unaware of who they are. The constables see camping gear and maps in their vehicle.July 23 — RCMP announce Schmegelsky and McLeod are suspects in the three deaths. They release photos of the men and a 2011 grey Toyota Rav 4 they may have been driving. Fox Lake Cree Nation says a burned-out vehicle is found near Gillam, Man., about 170 kilometres east of Split Lake. Police search that area.July 24 — RCMP confirm the burned-out vehicle near Gillam is the Toyota Rav 4 the suspects are believed to have been driving. The third victim is identified as 64-year-old Leonard Dyck of Vancouver. He was a lecturer in the University of British Columbia’s botany department.July 25 — Manitoba Mounties confirm two sightings of Schmegelsky and McLeod in the Gillam area. RCMP say the sightings, along with no reports of stolen vehicles, lead investigators to believe the suspects are still in the region. They say they are investigating a photograph of Nazi paraphernalia allegedly sent by Schmegelsky to another user on a video game network. Schmegelsky is also pictured in military fatigues brandishing an airsoft rifle and wearing a gas mask.July 28 — RCMP descend on York Landing, an isolated community southwest of Gillam, after it’s reported the suspects were seen at the local dump.July 29 — RCMP are unable to confirm the sighting and pull back to Gillam.July 31 — Police announce they have done everything they can and are scaling back the search, although not ending it.Aug. 2 — RCMP say they found a damaged rowboat on the Nelson River.Aug. 4 — RCMP dive team conducts underwater search “of significant areas of interest.”Aug. 6 — RCMP say they have found several items linked to Schmegelsky and McLeod on the shore of the Nelson River in northern Manitoba. The Mounties would not disclose what the items are but say they were found nine kilometres from the vehicle they were driving.Aug. 7 — Police say they believe they have found the bodies of McLeod and Schmegelsky in dense brush in northern Manitoba. RCMP Assistant Commissioner Jane MacLatchy said the bodies were found earlier in the morning near the shoreline of the Nelson River, within a kilometre of where several items linked to the two suspects were found. Autopsies are scheduled to confirm their identities.last_img read more