Somerset eager for Gayle’s return

first_imgLONDON (CMC):Somerset officials said they were anxiously anticipating Chris Gayle’s appearance in the Twenty20 Blast later this year, after the West Indies batting star signed off on a six-match deal to represent the English county.The 36-year-old Jamaican had a massive impact when he played in last year’s tournament, smashing scores of 92, 151 not out and 85 not out to pile up 328 runs in just three games.Director of Cricket Matthew Maynard said the club was already looking forward to Gayle’s presence.”We are absolutely delighted to have secured the services of Chris Gayle once again. He is a genuinely world-class player and was absolutely phenomenal for us last year,” Maynard said.”He is probably the biggest name in the sport at the moment and his performances in the Big Bash recently have only underlined his status as one of the most explosive players that cricket has ever seen.Club chief executive Guy Lavender said what had been even more impressive about Gayle during his stint with Somerset last year was his community involvement and charity work.This aspect, Lavender pointed out, had been a key factor in extending the relationship with the superstar left-hander.”Everyone sees the runs that he scores, but not everyone will be aware of his willingness to help off the pitch. It is these two elements which have maintained our desire to ensure that he would be back with us in 2016.”Gayle is arguably the most valued T20 batsman in the international game and is coming off a successful outing in the Australia Big Bash for Melbourne Stars.His stint for Somerset will run from June 1-17 following his campaign in the Indian Premier League, and Gayle says he is keen on helping Somerset qualify for the advanced rounds of the competition.”I really enjoyed my time at Somerset last year. It’s a great Club and the supporters were absolutely incredible,” Gayle said.”I’m looking forward to seeing the fans again and to scoring some more runs. Hopefully, I can help the club make it through to the later stages of the NatWest T20 Blast.”last_img read more

Redknapp looking to beat West Ham to signing of defender – report

first_imgQPR manager Harry Redknapp wants Blackburn defenders Martin Olsson and Scott Dann, the Daily Mirror say.Rangers first-team coach Joe Jordan watched Rovers’ game against Brighton on Tuesday, leading to speculation that Redknapp is looking to sign the duo.Former Birmingham centre-back Dann was previously a target for the R’s, while it is claimed Redknapp has been told his former club West Ham’s bid to sign Olsson is failing.Hammers boss Sam Allardyce is said to want to pay around £2m for Olsson with Redknapp apparently set to table an offer close to £3m.The Mirror also report Anton Ferdinand’s possible loan move to Turkish club Bursaspor.It is suggested that the player may have reservations because Turkish football has seen a number of high-profile racism cases.Related West London Sport story: QPR reluctant to agree Ferdinand loan dealThe Daily Mail, meanwhile, say R’s forward Jamie Mackie is wanted by Norwich.Fulham are once again linked with Jack Butland, with the Mirror suggesting Birmingham City will accept £3.5m for him.The Championship club have received no formal offers for the 19-year-old England international, apparently prompting them to drop their asking price.This page is regularly updated.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 Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

The Deets: The 49ers need to make a trade after Joe Staley’s injury — if only it were that easy

first_imgWelcome to The Deets — three thoughts on the world of sports, with an effort to focus on the things that might fall through the cracks in this convoluted Bay Area scene, three times a week.If you have something you’d like me to hit, just holler. I’m on Twitter @dieter or you can email me at dkurtenbach@bayareanewsgroup.com1. The Niners need to make a trade for a left tackle(Randy Vazquez/ Bay Area News Group)For the last 13 years, you could count on No. 74 being on the field for the 49ers …last_img read more

H-DNL volleyball roundup: Arcata, Mack & SB open conf. play with wins

first_imgLeague play has arrived in the 2019 volleyball season and a few teams started off their conference schedules with wins Thursday night.Let’s take a look.McKinleyville volleyballMcKinleyville High opened Big 5 Conference play with a win in four sets, 25-20, 25-17, 24-26 and 25-15, over Del Norte on Thursday.Lexi White had a team-best 20 digs, 26 assists and 3 service aces for McKinleyville in the win. Cameron Heenan added 12 kills and as many digs while Rian Heenan supplied 11 kills and a …last_img read more

Modern road will boost Mozambique coal sector

first_img23 February 2015The Sub-Saharan Regional Pipeline Corporation (SSRPC) is investing $350-million (about R4-billion) in transforming an approximately 350km-long narrow and unpaved carriageway into a modern road that crosses Mozambique’s Tete province and ends at the Zambezi River, where Mozambique, Zambia and Zimbabwe have a common border.Louis Berger will provide $7.6-million in consultancy services for the rehabilitation of the road, National Road N303. The modernised road will be the shortest link to a railway under construction between the coal-rich province of Tete and the port of Nacala, the deepest port in southern Africa. The road will offer a more cost-effective transportation solution, increasing the flow of goods and mineral resources, particularly copper exports.“The rehabilitation of the N303 is vital not only for Mozambique but for the region as a whole,” said Jean-Pierre Dupacq, the head of Louis Berger’s operations in Africa. “The modernised road will greatly boost the local economy, which is mainly dependent on coal mining, by allowing the development of local small scale enterprises along the road.”Overall, the project will encompass the rehabilitation, widening and/or reinforcement of the road and the existing structures; improvement of the alignment, pavement and signage design; drainage and ancillary works; as well as the rehabilitation of 19 bridges. Louis Berger will be responsible for providing pure design services for the development of feasibility, environmental and social impact assessment and resettlement studies.Louis Berger has more than 50 years of experience in Africa and 25 years of experience working in Mozambique, where the firm has implemented approximately 50 projects. These public- and private- sector funded contracts cover a broad range of professional services in the markets of transport, environment, water and sanitation, agriculture, power, telecommunications and health.The final beneficiary of the road rehabilitation project will be the government of Mozambique, namely the National Roads Directorate, with whom SSRPC entered into a public-private partnership type of agreement.Louis Berger is a global professional services corporation that helps infrastructure and development clients to solve complex challenges. It uses the multidisciplinary expertise of nearly 6 000 engineers, economists, scientists, managers and planners in more than 50 nations.Source: APOlast_img read more

Smith unstoppable as TNT clips Ginebra, takes Game 1

first_imgLacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Heart Evangelista admits she’s pregnant… with chicken Heart Evangelista admits she’s pregnant… with chicken Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Cayetano dares Lacson, Drilon to take lie-detector test: Wala akong kinita sa SEA Games What ‘missteps’? LATEST STORIES Roger Pogoy also came up big for TNT with 17 points on 3-of-5 shooting from the three-point area while Jayson Castro, who was struggling all-game long offensively, hit the game-clinching 3-pointer with 12.2 seconds left.“I actually didn’t want him (Castro) to shoot the last shot but Jayson will be Jayson,” said Racela. “He was really born for those moments.”Castro was 0-of-9 from the field before hitting that dagger of a triple over Sol Mercado.The Kings never led but pulled within one possession thrice inside the final two minutes but each time, the KaTropa had answer with Pogoy, Smith and Castro hitting timely baskets.Justin Brownlee led Ginebra with 24 points, 14 rebounds and six assists. The Gin Kings look to even the series on Tuesday.ADVERTISEMENT PBA IMAGESJoshua Smith threw his weight around and TNT held off top seed Barangay Ginebra, 100-94, to take Game 1 of the 2017 PBA Commissioner’s Cup semifinals Sunday night at Mall of Asia Arena.The 6-foot-8, 300-pound Smith scored 29 of his 35 points in the second half including an 18-point third quarter as the KaTropa weathered the Gin Kings’ fightback.ADVERTISEMENT Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Nextcenter_img World’s 50 Best Restaurants launches new drinking and dining guide MOST READ He owned the shaded area going 16-of-22 from the field while also collecting 13 rebounds and four assists in just a little over 29 minutes off the bench.“Well again, just like the last game, if you give him minutes, he will give you the numbers,” TNT head coach Nash Racela said.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout“I think today he had 35, rebounds maybe not that much, but because of Ginebra’s defense, they really concentrated on neutralizing Joshua and almost like having 2 or 3 guys on him every single time,” Racella added.But despite the Kings’ defensive game plan of crowding Smith with two or three defenders, the hefty import found ways to deliver for the KaTropa as if there was little resistance to hurdle. Ravena’s late three lifts Ateneo past La Salle WATCH: Firefighters rescue baby seal found in parking garage Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games 1 dead in Cavite blast, fire View commentslast_img read more

Jeff Van Gundy set for final game of USA qualifying rounds

first_imgOil plant explodes in Pampanga town PDEA chief backs Robredo in revealing ‘discoveries’ on drug war Urgent reply from Philippine ‍football chief SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte MOST READ Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss And the last two of seven spots out of the Americas Region will also be decided on the final day. The Uruguay-Puerto Rico winner is certain to get one, and the Dominican Republic is likely to get the other.The draw for the World Cup is March 16 in China. Grace Poe files bill to protect govt teachers from malicious accusations US judge bars Trump’s health insurance rule for immigrants View commentscenter_img Knicks beat Spurs to end 18-game home losing streak “That coaching fire never went away,” Van Gundy said. “It’s always been about timing and fit. It hasn’t worked exactly. But that’s all right, too, because I am so lucky to do what I’m doing.”TOURNAMENT UPDATEThere will be 32 teams playing in China this summer, and 29 of those spots have now been claimed.Serbia, the world’s No. 4-ranked team, finally clinched its spot out of the European qualifiers with a 97-76 victory over Israel on Sunday in the last qualifying game for both teams. Russia also clinched its spot Sunday, needing a late 33-11 run to rally past Finland 91-76.Other qualifiers Sunday included Ivory Coast, Japan, Jordan, Iran and the Philippines. Brazil, Senegal, Italy and Poland also clinched their spots in the field over the weekend. Ivory Coast won three games in three days to get in, and needed to beat Mali on Sunday in that last game by more than 13 points to qualify — getting the job done with a 69-49 win to grab the fifth and final spot allocated to the African qualifying region.China got in automatically as the host. Tunisia, Nigeria, Greece, Germany, the Czech Republic, Lithuania, Australia, France, Angola, New Zealand, South Korea, Spain, Turkey, Venezuela, Canada, Argentina and the U.S. qualified before this final window as well.World No. 7 Slovenia and No. 9 Croatia were the top-ranked teams that failed to qualify.WHO’S LEFTThe last three World Cup berths will be won on Monday.Europe gets 12 teams, and the last of those berths will go to Montenegro or Latvia. Those nations play Monday, and Latvia must win by nine points or more to earn a trip to the World Cup. Otherwise, Montenegro goes. LATEST STORIES Van Gundy — the coach for all six two-game qualifying cycles for the U.S. and who led the Americans into the field for this summer’s tournament in China without navigating any serious trouble — will send his team out to face Argentina at Greensboro, North Carolina, on Monday night in the final qualifying game for both nations.Both teams have already clinched spots in the World Cup. All that’s at stake in the finale is first place in Group E; both teams go into Monday night with 9-2 records. Van Gundy has gotten the Americans to that point despite being handed a very different roster for each qualifying cycle, and he has used more than 50 different players with “USA” across their chests so far in the tournament.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine ‍football chiefSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption charges“Jeff Van Gundy was a perfect selection for us as it relates to put together a squad, or squads,” USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo said. “I had the privilege of watching a few practices to see how he put all those things together, all those pieces together and how quickly he got people to buy in. I just think he’s done an outstanding job. We could not have done any better.”Van Gundy hasn’t coached in the NBA since the 2006-07 season. He’s been a television analyst for ESPN and ABC since, and is generally considered one of the best commentators in the game. He’s part of the lead crew on ESPN, often working with Mike Breen, Mark Jackson and Doris Burke. ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting “I don’t love TV. I love the people I work with,” Van Gundy said last week, as the U.S. qualifying team was breaking training camp at the University of Miami. “I love coaching. I like TV. Whenever you try an alternative job that you’re not trained in and you don’t really have an expertise in, it’s all about who you work with.”Burke has been with Van Gundy for some of his practices, and she marvels at how well he teaches and how fast he processes the game.“He is able to see all 10 guys on the floor through an entire possession,” Burke said. “He’s one of the best I’ve ever seen. I just love the man.”It’s likely that Van Gundy will remain involved with the U.S. team for the World Cup in some capacity. The team that will play in China starting on Aug. 31 will be coached by San Antonio’s Gregg Popovich, who’ll have a roster stocked with NBA superstars — while Van Gundy went through qualifying with G League players. Popovich, countless times over the last several months, has lauded the job Van Gundy has done.Van Gundy said coaching the U.S. in qualifying didn’t necessarily stoke his desire to keep coaching. He’s never wavered on that.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. FILE – In this Sept. 17, 2018, file photo, U.S. basketball coach Jeff Van Gundy speaks from the sidelines of the team’s FIBA Basketball World Cup 2019 qualifier game against Panama in Panama City. Van Gundy has an idea on how to fix the NBA All-Star Game. His plan: Eliminate it. Van Gundy, the former NBA coach and now longtime television commentator for ABC and ESPN, said what he’s seeing now from the game is embarrassing and “a bastardization of the game that is beautiful to watch.” The teams picked by captains LeBron James and Giannis Antetokounmpo combined to attempt a record 167 3-pointers in Sunday night’s game–and 96 of the 134 field goals in the game came off either 3s or dunks. (AP Photo/Arnulfo Franco, File)CORAL GABLES, Fla. — Jeff Van Gundy is about to coach his final game for the United States in the qualifying rounds for this summer’s FIBA World Cup.From there, who knows when he’ll coach again.ADVERTISEMENTlast_img read more

BIRMINGHAM Ala AP – An Alabama attorney and hi

first_imgBIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) – An Alabama attorney and his son are accused of defrauding investors and a bank out of millions of dollars.A news release from U.S. Attorney Jay Town says an indictment was handed up Thursday against 70-year-old Donald V. Watkins Sr., of Atlanta, and 46-year-old Donald V. Watkins Jr., of Birmingham.Each faces multiple counts of wire and bank fraud and one count of conspiracy.The indictment alleges that from 2007 until 2014, the pair induced investors to pay millions into an account that was supposed to grow two companies they were associated with. According to the indictment, the money went for other costs, including alimony and clothing.Watkins released a statement saying the charges are bogus and he’s confident he and his son will beat them.(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)11/29/2018 5:43:27 PM (GMT -6:00)last_img read more