Apr 2, 2009Indonesian toddler dies of H5N1 infectionA 2-year-old boy from Indonesia’s Riau province died last week of an H5N1 infection, the Jakarta Post reported today. An official from Arifin Ahmad hospital in the provincial capital, where the boy was treated, told the Post that the boy reportedly had contact with dead birds before he got sick. Health officials were identifying family members and others who had contact with the boy and would monitor them for 21 days, the report said. If the World Health Organization (WHO) confirms the case, it will raise Indonesia’s H5N1 case count to 146, with 120 deaths.[Apr 2 Jakarta Post story]Thailand gets WHO grant to help produce flu vaccinesThailand yesterday received approval for a $2 million grant from the WHO to produce a seasonal influenza vaccine and develop the capacity to make its own pandemic vaccine, The Nation, a Thai newspaper, reported today. Thailand is one of six countries that are receiving WHO support to produce influenza vaccines. Last year the country used a $2 million WHO grant to make a vaccine prototype that is in the safety-testing phase of a clinical trial.[Apr 2 The Nation story]’Tis season for flu vaccine if traveling to southern hemisphereTo prevent influenza in those traveling Down Under or elsewhere south of the equator, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that they receive flu vaccine before traveling to the southern hemisphere during its flu season, which is April through September. The CDC, in tomorrow’s issue of Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR), also recommends vaccination for those traveling to the tropics at any time of year and for people touring between April and September with a group that includes anyone from the southern hemisphere. The make-up of the flu vaccine often differs between northern and southern hemispheres, but this year it is the same.[Apr 3 MMWR report]Hib vaccine shortage leads to deaths in Pennsylvania, New JerseyTwo unvaccinated children in Pennsylvania and one in New Jersey have died from Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib), and at least four other southeastern Pennsylvania youth have become infected after a Hib vaccine shortage, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported yesterday. A third Pennsylvania death is also likely linked to the disease, the story said. Some of the cases were in families who declined the vaccine for religious reasons, but officials said outbreaks of the disease in Pennsylvania and elsewhere have probably been due to vaccine shortages that developed after Merck in December 2007 withdrew 1.2 million doses of its vaccine because of possible contamination. Before vaccines were licensed for children in 1987, Hib infected 20,000 US children under 5 each year, killing 1,000. Hib, a bacterium, is not related to influenza, which is transmitted by a virus, but is so named because it was once thought to cause the flu.[Apr 1 Philadelphia Inquirer story]Hard-hit countries call for action against drug-resistant TBHealth ministers from 27 countries with the greatest burden of drug-resistant tuberculosis (TB) yesterday joined with WHO officials and others to issue a call for action against the global TB epidemic, according to a WHO statement today. At a meeting in Beijing, the officials issued a statement that all countries should work to provide universal access to diagnosis and treatment for multidrug-resistant and extensively drug-resistant TB by 2015 and to remove financial barriers to TB care, among several other goals. WHO Director-General Dr. Margaret Chan said preventing and managing drug-resistant TB is a global health imperative and cannot be achieved by national governments individually. Participants in the meeting also vowed to help find the estimated $15 billion needed for the TB battle over the next 6 years.[Apr 2 WHO statement]
LocalNews Mr Dominica show to feature in Carnival 2012 by: – December 16, 2011 Share Sharing is caring! Reigning Miss Dominica; Jacintha Fagan (SEE PHOTO GALLERY BELOW).The Dominica Festivals Committee has revealed that a Mr. Dominica show will be added to the Carnival 2012 line up.“The Real Mas” which was officially launched at the Fort Young Hotel on Thursday evening is carded for February 20th and 21st, 2012 in Dominica.Events Director of the Dominica Festivals Committee Mrs Natalie Clarke-Meade in giving an overview of “The Real Mas” highlighted the activities making the calendar of events for Carnival 2012.“February 4th, 2012 Carnival semi-finals, Rotaract Princess Show February 5th, 2012, the Portsmouth Carnival 5th February, Pan Association 7th of February, 2012, Ole Mass and Sensay Festival the 8th, Leo Club Junior Monarch on the 9th, Mr Dominica enters the scene 10th February, Bouyon Fanatic Show on the 11th, Waitukubuli Dance Theatre Teenage Pageant on the 12th, Swinging Stars Lagoon Jam on the 13th, Clash of the Tents on 15th, Stardom King of the Tent on the 15th, Showdown Champ of the Camp on the 16th, Miss Dominica Show on the 18th, Calypso Monarch on the 19th, Kiddies Carnival on the 19th, Mini Carnival Bord La Mer on the 19th, Jouvert 4 -10am, Traditional Mass on 20th, Costume Band and Road Parade.”Another highlight of Carnival activities is the Miss Dominica Pageant, and six ladies officially signed their contracts to vie for the title at Thursday’s launching.[nggallery id=104]They are Kimberly Jno. Charles of St. Joseph, Francille Lavenier of Pichelin sponsored by Bullseye Pharmacy, Nadira Lando of Bataca, Ameka Cognet of Elmshall, Indianna Griffith of Goodwill and Shannel Dubique of Petite Soufriere.Meantime Minister of Tourism Ian Douglas told Thursday’s launching that a museum to preserve what he calls “one of the most significant event on our cultural and tourism calendar” – carnival.“We also need to think about saving the queens costumes, preserving them in such a way that we could start building a museum of carnival so that we could offer probably at the Old Mill, some kind of museum so that when the visitors come we could take them there and tell the story of carnival.”LIME Dominica is also the headline sponsor and they are contributing $190, 000.00 to the Dominica Festivals Committee. Of that sum $150, 000.00 will be a cash donation and the balance in technical support. General Manager of LIME Dominica, Jeffrey Baptiste, said the company’s commitment to Dominica remains firm and that they will continue to play a leading role in the development of Dominica.Mr Baptiste further in urging customers to choose LIME noted that 20% of its shares belong to the people of Dominica.Dominica Vibes News Share Tweet Share 332 Views one comment
Indianapoolis, In. — INDIANAPOLIS, Ind., Nov. 13, 2018 – U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Farm Service Agency (FSA) State Executive Director Steven Brown reminds Indiana producers who experienced losses from natural disasters during the 2017 and 2018 calendar years that they may be eligible for assistance through the Tree Assistance Program (TAP), Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees and Farm-Raised Fish Program (ELAP) and Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP).“We want to ensure that all eligible agricultural producers who experienced losses from natural disasters get the assistance they need,” said Brown.Tree Assistance Program (TAP):TAP provides financial assistance to qualifying orchardists and nursery tree growers to replant or rehabilitate eligible trees, bushes and vines lost due to natural disasters. Payment eligibility is triggered when a mortality loss in excess of 15 percent on a stand (adjusted for normal mortality) occurs due to natural disaster.For 2017 and 2018 TAP losses, growers have until the later of Dec. 3, 2018, or 90 calendar days after the disaster event or date when the loss of trees becomes apparent to submit an application with supporting documentation.Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees and Farm-Raised Fish Program (ELAP):ELAP provides emergency assistance to eligible producers of livestock, honeybees and farm-raised fish who have suffered losses due to an adverse weather or loss condition, including blizzards, disease, water shortages and wildfires. ELAP assistance is provided for losses not covered by other disaster assistance programs.For 2017 and 2018 ELAP, producers must file a notice of loss and application for payment at their local FSA office by Dec. 3, 2018. for losses occurring from Oct. 1, 2016, through Sept. 30, 2018.Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP):LIP provides compensation to eligible livestock owners or contract growers for livestock deaths in excess of normal mortality, or injury resulting in reduced value, caused by an eligible loss condition.For 2017 and 2018 LIP, a livestock owner or contract grower must file a notice of loss the later of 30 calendar days from when the loss of livestock is first apparent, or Dec. 3, 2018. For 2017 losses, a livestock owner or contract grower must file an application for payment by Dec. 3, 2018. For 2018 losses, a livestock owner or contract grower must file an application for payment by, March 1, 2019.Other Amendments to the 2014 Farm Bill by the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2018“In February, the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2018 made several changes to FSA disaster programs,” Brown said. “This includes eliminating the $20 million fiscal year funding cap for ELAP, eliminating the $125,000 payment limitation for LIP for 2017 and future years and allowing producers to receive a payment for injured livestock that are sold for a reduced price due to an eligible event.”As a result of these changes, starting June 4, producers were allowed to submit ELAP, LIP and LFP applications for 2017 losses if they reached the payment limitation under the previous rules. The application periods for these programs for the 2017 program year will close on Dec. 3, 2018. Producers who already submitted applications and received decisions on their applications for these years do not need to file again but can reapply if they have additional losses or their application or notice of loss was denied because it was late filed.Contact your local FSA office for program deadlines. For more information on FSA disaster assistance programs or to find your local USDA Service Center here.
HOUSTON — Angels radio broadcaster Mark Langston was to remain overnight in a Houston hospital after suffering what the team called a “medical emergency” in the first inning of Friday night’s 6-4 loss to the Astros.Langston had just completed announcing the lineups before the first pitch of Friday night’s game at Minute Maid Park when he reportedly collapsed, and medics were summoned into the booth. Jose Mota, who normally handles the pre- and post-game shows on television, filled in for the rest of the game with play-by-play announcer Terry Smith.Langston was transported to a local hospital, where he was alert and undergoing testing to determine the cause of the episode, the team said. There was no further information on his condition, though Angels TV broadcaster Victor Rojas tweeted out postgame that Langston was “doing well.”“Scary sight tonight watching things unfold in the booth two doors down from us,” Rojas tweeted. “Currently sitting with Langer in ER and he’s doing well, sharing some laughs about his pizza intake in NYC this week. Keep Mark in your prayers as they continue to run through protocols.” Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error “Sending love and prayers out to my longtime friend and someone whom I consider a brother, Mark Langston,” tweeted Angels TV color analyst Mark Gubicza, who was teammates with Langston in 1997.Langston, 59, is finishing his seventh season as part of the Angels’ radio team. He pitched for 16 years in the majors (winning 179 games), including eight seasons with the Angels.He pitched a combined no-hitter with Angels reliever Mike Witt on April 11, 1990, led the American League in strikeouts in three of his first four seasons (while with Seattle) and was a seven-time Gold Glove award winner.He became head baseball coach at Orange Lutheran High after his retirement in 1999 and guided the Lancers to a playoff berth in 2002.