A five-wicket haul from national fast bowler, Jason Dawes, guided Kensington Cricket Club to an impressive seven-wicket win over Melbourne in their feature Jamaica Cricket Association 50-over Zone D clash at Kensington Park at the weekend.Dawes, a former West Indies Under-19 standout, claimed five for 18 to help bowl out the fancied Melbourne for a paltry 96 inside 23.5 overs. He was supported by stand-in captain Ryan Francis, who took two for 20 off five overs with his part-time left-arm spin.Dawes’ wickets included three Jamaica representatives, batsman Andre McCarthy, captain Nikita Miller and leg-spinner Damion Jacobs, who made 18, 10 and one, respectively.Kensington, in their reply, raced to their target at 97 for the loss of three wickets in the 24th over, with national batsman Cassius Burton top-scoring with an unbeaten 37.It was Kensington’s win first from two matches, after going down to neighbours Lucas by eight wickets in their first encounter.”It’s a great feeling to know that we were able to bounce back against one of the top clubs in the country,” said Francis.important toss”The toss was important to us and ideally we won it and worked with the game plan we had in our team meeting, and it worked.”We are now looking forward to our next game and looking to repeat a similar performance,” he said.Elsewhere in the zone, Kingston defeated Lucas by 179 runs at Sabina Park to lead the standings.Kingston, who were recording their second win in as many matches, posted 256 for nine in 47 overs. In-form captain Brandon King, who scored 80 in Jamaica Scorpions’ first four-day trial match last week, top-scored for the Tigers with 83.Wicketkeeper Allan Roper, with an unbeaten 53, rcorded the second highest score against pacer Rushane Bird, four for 46 and teenager Raewin Senior, three for 42.Former national youth all-rounder, Garth Garvey, then bagged an immaculate eight for 12 off six overs in helping to bundle out Kensingston for 77 inside 23 overs.
rehearsals for the flag raising ceremony for Guyana’s 50th independence anniversary ended tragically after a young pannist attached to the Pan Wave Steel Orchestra was crushed to death by the wheels of a moving truckDead: 14-year-old Kevin Scipiofrom which he jumped on Tuesday evening.The dead lad was identified as Richard Ishmael Secondary School student, Kevin Scipio, 14, of Lot 6 Railway Embankment, Kitty, Georgetown.According to reports, while the truck transporting the Pan Wave Band equipment was reversing into the North Ruimveldt Multilateral School Compound on Mandela Avenue, Scipio jumped off the vehicle and tripped and fell under the truck. He was crushed by the rear wheels of the lorry.The teenager was picked up and rushed to the Georgetown Public Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival. The driver of the truck is in Police custody assisting with investigations.When Guyana Times arrived at the home of the boy, relatives were gathering in the home consoling each other trying to come to grips with the loss of the young man.Scipio’s distraught mother, Alieka Davis, related that this was her only child and at about 22:00h, she was called and told the tragic news.The Ministry of the Presidency has extended condolences to the relatives of the teenager, stating that it was with deep regret that President David Granger and the Government learned of the tragic passing of Scipio.Meanwhile, Minister within the Education Ministry with responsibilities for culture, youth and sport, Nicolette Henry visited the dead teen’s relatives and offered her personal condolences and that of her Ministry.Additionally, the Richard Ishmael Secondary school’s flag was flown at half mast in respect of the young man’s passing.
– following devastating effects of Hurricane DorianIn light of the devastating effects that Hurricane Dorian left in The Bahamas after taking the lives of scores of persons and destroying numerous homes there, the Guyana Civil Defence Commission (CDC) in collaboration with Guyana Bank for Trade and Industry (GBTI) is appealing to the public to assist in donating funds to aid citizens of that country.Persons desirous of contributing financial donations are asked to make those contributions to an account set up at GBTI under the account name: GBTI Hurricane Relief Fund-Bahamas with the account number 011802963011.Even as the Government and people of The Bahamas are left to pick up the pieces following Hurricane Dorian’s arrival and departure, another storm is expected to hit that island soon.Tropical Depression Nine formed near The Bahamas on Friday and is forecast to become a tropical storm today, the National Hurricane Center said.As such, The Bahamas Government has issued a tropical storm warning for its northwestern islands — which is the same area decimated by Hurricane Dorian earlier this month.The storm was about 240 miles east-southeast of Freeport, Grand Bahama Island, and about 140 miles east-southeast of Great Abaco Island, the hurricane center said. Tropical Depression Nine has maximum sustained winds of 30 mph and is moving northwest at 8 mph.
IT’S not the sexiest issue in national politics, but ending the practice of secret earmarks in congressional spending is, like state redistricting, one of those wonky issues that could have a profoundly beneficial effect on representative politics. An earmark is a line-item request for funding of pet projects that members of Congress insert into major appropriations bills. The best part (for them) is they don’t have to disclose who stuck the request in. This practice is directly responsible for fiascoes such as the “Bridge to Nowhere” in Alaska, which had no practical value other than sending more than $300 million in federal funds into the state’s economy. (Thankfully, that project has been dropped.) And, as with redistricting, all the politicians say they are for ending this practice. But what they do is another story. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREChargers go winless in AFC West with season-ending loss in Kansas CityIndeed, eight of 15 Southern California members of Congress refused a recent request by the Daily News to reveal their list of earmarks. Republican Reps. Elton Gallegly of Thousand Oaks, Howard “Buck” McKeon of Santa Clarita, Gary Miller of Brea and Jerry Lewis of Redlands would not share. Nor would Democrat Reps. Hilda Solis of El Monte, Adam Schiff of Pasadena, Linda Sanchez of Cerritos and Jane Harmon of El Segundo. Shame on them. Only a light on the proceedings can stop outrageous pork-barrel spending and allow federal funds to pay for things that make sense. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
1 N’golo Kante in action for Leicester City Claudio Ranieri says he will understand if N’Golo Kante wants to leave Leicester this summer – but hopes the midfielder stays with the club.Kante starred for the Foxes last season, helping them secure a remarkable Premier League title triumph, after his £5.6million arrival from Caen in 2015.He went on to impress for France at Euro 2016 and is reportedly on the radar of a host of clubs across Europe, including Chelsea.The 25-year-old has been offered a new deal by Leicester but Ranieri is still yet to discover what the player’s plans for the future are.“I have heard there is so much speculation behind him, I don’t want to lose him but I can understand if he wants to go,” said the Italian.“We offered a new contract to him, he went away because he wanted to finish Euro 2016.“At this point, I hope the team brings the maximum [transfer fee for him]. I want him here. But I don’t know.“I would like now to be sure who stays with me or not because now the friendlies start and I have to start to manage.“I would like to understand if he stays with me or not. I speak often with him. If one is not happy with me, I prefer that he goes.”
A Letterkenny Town councillor has said he hopes the objector to a major sports event in the town reconsiders their challenge to the plan.Cllr Dessie Larkin was speaking following a public outcry against objections to the staging of the inaugural Letterkenny Urban Downhill cycling race on May 7th next.The event had been given the approval of the local council and looked set to reap major tourism revenue with bikers coming from across Europe to take part. However Donegal Mountain Bike Club was forced to cancel the event this weekend after a local business lodged a formal objection to the event.The event was due to see dozens of mountain bikers race through the streets of Letterkenny from St Eunan’s College and throughout the town.Cllr Dessie Larkin said he did not know the identity of the objector but pleaded with them to reconsider their stance.“I honestly don’t know who the objector is and I am not sure of the reasons for their objection. “It is probably too late for this year but I would ask them to sit down with the council for next year so we can talk through their concerns.“I would like to think that when that happens we could impress upon them that not only would their business not suffer from the staging of such an event but that it might benefit,” he said.Cllr Larkin paid tribute to all those involved in bringing the race this far.”I would like to pay tribute to the three men who brought this plan before the council.“It was perhaps the most professional submission ever made to the council. I do hope that we can sit down and resolve these matters. “Such an event has huge tourist potential and we hope that will not be lost,” he said.COUNCILLOR ASKS BUSINESS TO RECONSIDER OBJECTION TO RACE EVENT was last modified: March 17th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Tony Cascarino backs Everton to sign two strikers for Carlo Ancelotti According to The Sun, talks between the two parties stalled despite the Whites holding an interest for several weeks.But after singing a slew of players on loan, Derby are set to let the Czech Republic international leave.Frank Lampard has been extremely busy in the transfer market, and has also recently completed the permanent transfer of Jack Marriott from Peterbrough United.But with a move for Ipswich hitman Martyn Waghorn hanging in the balance, the Chelsea legend needs to sell assets to improve his bid. Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade targets The biggest market value losers in 2019, including Bale and ex-Liverpool star 1 REVEALED LATEST IN DEMAND Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January Cavani ‘agrees’ to join new club and will complete free transfer next summer The new boss is prepared to pay around £5 million for the striker to outbid Sheffield United.The 26-year-old scored 21 goals in the Championship last season as the Rams fell at the Championship Play-off semi-final stage. moving on Matej Vydra is closing in on a deal to leave Derby County for Leeds United, according to reports.The Rams are prepared to sell the striker, and he is set to sign a £40,000-a-week deal at Elland Road. Vydra scored 21 goals in the Championship last season Man United joined by three other clubs in race for Erling Haaland Kevin De Bruyne ‘loves Man City and wants to keep winning’, reveals father targets LIVING THE DREAM Latest Transfer stories from talksport.com Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ RANKED
Leeds United target Moise Kean will allow Juventus to decide whether he should go out on loan in January.The 18-year-old is highly-rated by the Italian club’s coaching staff, who believe he is on course for a big future. “I am training and then the club will decide. I am learning so much by training alongside Cristiano Ronaldo, it’s a great experience.” Kean scored against England’s Under-21s this week. MONEY REVEALED Oxlade-Chamberlain suffers another setback as Klopp confirms serious injury The Championship club have since been linked with a renewed approach in January, but Kean has revealed it will be Juventus who decides if he goes.“I don’t know yet,” Kean told TMW when quizzed if he could leave in January. Latest Football Stories Son ban confirmed as Tottenham fail with appeal to overturn red card RANKED Where Ancelotti ranks with every Premier League boss for trophies won Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade REPLY no dice BEST OF Forbes list reveals how much Mayweather, Ronaldo and Messi earned this decade Premier League Team of the Season so far, including Liverpool and Leicester stars shining REVEALED ADVICE However, the striker has played just 12 minutes this season after coming off the bench during Juventus’ Champions League win over Young Boys in October.It has led to speculation that Kean could be loaned out in January in order for him to gain more first-team experience.The Italy under-21 international was a target for Leeds in the summer, who failed with a loan bid for him then. 2 Juventus striker Moise Kean is highly-rated by the club. 2 huge blow Berahino hits back at b******t Johnson criticism – ‘I was in a dark place at Stoke’ Every time Ally McCoist lost it on air in 2019, including funny XI reactions Which teams do the best on Boxing Day in the Premier League era? Ronaldo warned Lukaku how hard scoring goals in Serie A would be before Inter move
shining ADVICE Premier League Team of the Season so far, including Liverpool and Leicester stars RANKED Berahino hits back at b******t Johnson criticism – ‘I was in a dark place at Stoke’ LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS Ronaldo warned Lukaku how hard scoring goals in Serie A would be before Inter move 2 “A player who is 19 or 20 must be ready to play in the first-team,” said West Ham boss Pellegrini.“If, for different reasons, you don’t have the space you must go to another club.“Here, we have in his position a player who I am happy with.“Angelo Ogbonna is also on the bench, but working very well every day. Issa Diop is playing well, and while Declan Rice doesn’t play in that position, he can.“So, we will see what happens with Reece, whether he stays here, or if it is better for him to go and play for another team.” BEST OF REVEALED REPLY no dice Son ban confirmed as Tottenham fail with appeal to overturn red card huge blow Where Ancelotti ranks with every Premier League boss for trophies won Oxford became West Ham’s youngest ever Premier League player aged 16 years and 237 days in an opening-day 2-0 win at Arsenal in 2015.The England Under-20 has two-and-a-half years left on his £20,000-a-week deal, but his London Stadium future looks bleak.He has spent most of the last two seasons on loan at Borussia Monchengladbach and Reading.“This season will be difficult for Reece to play,” added Pellegrini. Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade REVEALED MONEY 2 Oxlade-Chamberlain suffers another setback as Klopp confirms serious injury Every time Ally McCoist lost it on air in 2019, including funny XI reactions Getty Which teams do the best on Boxing Day in the Premier League era? Manuel Pellegrini has no plans to play Reece Oxford anytime soon Forbes list reveals how much Mayweather, Ronaldo and Messi earned this decade Manuel Pellegrini has warned Reece Oxford that his West Ham days could be numbered.The 19-year-old has not played for the Hammers this season and is training with their Under-23s side. Reece Oxford (right) playing in a pre-season friendly in July “I spoke with him some weeks ago to force him to continue to work as high a level as he can.“If you don’t have space in the first-team you must demonstrate in the Under-23s that you can make a difference in every game.“It is a difficult moment for him and he must work very hard.”
DONEGAL County Council gritters have spent the night salting many of the county’s main routes as temperatures fell to -5C in some inland areas.Many roads are dangerous today and AA Ireland has issued a travel alert for motorists in Co Donegal.Roads around Milford, Ramelton and Carrigart are particularly dangerous this morning. Thick fog in many areas is also making driving dangerous.Take care out there.The cold nights are expected to continue right through the weekend. ROADS WARNING AS FOG AND ICE RETURN TO DONEGAL was last modified: January 10th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)