Dec 14, 2007 (CIDRAP News) – Reports of suspected human H5N1avian influenza cases among brothers in Pakistan are raising fresh fears in the global health community of human-to-human transmission of the virus, amid uncertainty about how a father-son pair in China contracted their H5N1 infections.Media outlets in Pakistan have been reporting on a possible family cluster in the northwestern part of the country over the past few days, but the sources of the information were often murky, and the details of the cases were confusing and often contradictory. And even though today’s news reports flesh out more details about the suspected cases, they still contain contradictory statements.If the World Health Organization (WHO) confirms the Pakistani cases, they would represent the country’s first reported appearance of the H5N1 virus in humans in Pakistan.Confusion, concern in PakistanToday an anonymous source in Pakistan’s health ministry told Kuwait News Agency (KUNA) that authorities are testing samples from two poultry farm workers who died in a hospital isolation ward from suspected H5N1 infections. The ministry official said the brothers are from Mansehra district and were admitted to a hospital in Peshawar, in northern Pakistan, KUNA reported.”We have received their blood samples, and they have been sent to laboratory for clinical analysis,” the ministry official told KUNA, adding that results are expected tomorrow.The Mansehra district where the men are from has experiencedH5N1 in poultry, and thousands of birds have been culled in the area, the KUNA report said.Khushnood Akhtar, secretary of Pakistan’s health ministry, said the cases occurred in November but said that four brothers are involved, Deutsche Presse-Argentur (DPA) reported today. One of the men, who worked on a poultry farm, may have contracted the H5N1 virus after he helped cull sick birds, Akhtar told DPA.The man survived but may have infected three of his brothers, none of whom had been at the farm or in contact with sick birds, Akhtar said in the DPA report. The DPA report appears to contradict the KUNA story, which said the two men in its report were farm workers.Akhtar told DPA that two of the brothers died of pneumonia-like symptoms but were buried before health officials could obtain blood samples, which appears to contradict what the anonymous health ministry official told KUNA.A third brother who lives in the United States and was visiting Mansehra also tested positive for the H5N1 virus, but survived and returned to his US home, Akhtar told DPA.”We have requested the WHO to send a team to the area so we can find out exactly what happened there,” he said in the DPA report.Developments in ChinaMeanwhile in China, the military in Nanjing, located in Jiangsu province in the eastern part of the country, banned poultry sales this week after the H5N1 virus killed a 24-year-old man from the area and sickened his 52-year-old father, the Associated Press reported today. Chinese officials have said they aren’t sure how the two men became infected or if there is any connection between their illnesses.China has not reported any recent H5N1 outbreaks in poultry.The European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control(ECDC) said in an influenza news assessment yesterday that despite the familial link between the two men, it is too soon to say if their cases represent an instance of human-to-human H5N1 transmission.”Even if limited human-to-human transmission is proven in this or other cases, that is not new,” the ECDC report said. “ECDC would not change its EU [European Union] risk assessment in the absence of enlarging clusters and chains of transmission of H5N1, which are not being seen at present.”Cases serve as stark reminderMichael T. Osterholm, PhD, MPH, director of the University of Minnesota Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy, publisher of CIDRAP News, said there is obviously a major uptick inH5N1 activity in birds and humans, and that increased reports of the virus aren’t surprising, given the cooler seasonal conditions that have been associated with increased influenza activity.Today the WHO confirmed Myanmar’s first human H5N1 case, and Indonesia’s health minister announced another death from the disease. (See today’s CIDRAP News article for more details.)Osterholm said he doesn’t see a reason to panic over reports of family clusters and suspected human-to-human transmission. “Part of the problem with trying to understand the potential of H5N1 to cause the next pandemic is that we still don’t know what it will take to make it happen, “he told CIDRAP News.The H5N1 virus continues to have opportunities to find the right combination for sustained human-to-human transmission, Osterholm said, “but maybe this is all it will ever do.””Surely, this should remind us that this virus is continuing an uncontrolled and incredibly exuberant genetic mutation pathway,” he said.The emergence of human H5N1 cases in Pakistan wouldn’t be surprising, Osterholm said, “I’ve never believed that these countries could isolate themselves.”
Installation of rock on the 150m section of embankment adjacent to Princess Avenue in Wauchope, NSW, and restoration of park areas has progressed ahead of schedule, with the nearby pedestrian path expected to re-open on Friday 28 September. Further restoration work will now move onto the section of embankment between Pebble Beach and the boat ramp, the Port Macquarie-Hastings Council said in its latest release.This additional work will further reinforce the existing wall where required and is expected to start in around a month’s time subject to material and contractor availability.“The pedestrian path adjacent to the rock wall at this section will remain open during the works, however access to the river bank will be restricted, with barrier fencing in place around the work site to ensure public safety,” said the Port Macquarie-Hastings Council.Stage 2 of the rock wall restoration works are expected to take 2 weeks to complete.
Brookville, In. — St. Michael’s Catholic School in Brookville will hold the “Blessed Growth” Children’s Clothing & Toy Sale April 6 from 8 a.m. to noon. Gently used items will be available for sale.
Nigeria’s soccer ambassador and former Super Eagles’ captain, Daniel Amokachi, has finally shared his experience at The Synagogue Church of All Nations, while attempting to relaunch his career.The Bull, as Amokachi was also referred to in his active playing days, on Brila FM programme on Friday, said he was not healed though he saw miracles at the church pastored by T.B. Joshua. In his words; “I was at the church on invitation of a friend who is a member.“My friend, at that time, told me about the man of God and that I could meet my miracle if I met with the Pastor.“At first, I wasn’t giving to it, but I later agreed and flew down to Nigeria from England to see the Pastor.“I slept by the church’s altar for several weeks to receive healing.“I was not healed, but I saw lots of miracles that happened to people.” Amokachi was at The Synagogue over a protracted knee injury he sustained ahead of the 1998 FIFA World Cup, where he played one match and struggled with the knee problem, thereafter.After leaving Beşiktaş in 1999, his playing career more or less ended.He signed with 1860 Munich, but the contract was cancelled after he failed a medical test.The Bull was also rejected by Tranmere Rovers for the same reason.Amokachi also trained with French second division side, US Créteil, but the deal was hampered by injuries. American MLS team Colorado Rapids signed him in 2002, but seeing he was not fit enough they released him before he could play a single match.He went to play in the United Arab Emirates, but was denied again due to his medical condition.He was a member of the Super Eagles squad to the 1994 FIFA World Cup and 1998 FIFA World Cup and won the 1994 African Nations Cup.He also helped win the Olympic gold medal in 1996, scoring in the Gold Medal game against Argentina.RelatedPosts Super Eagles soar on FIFA ranking FIFA ranking: Nigeria moves up by two spots, now world 29th Omeruo welcomes second child Tags: brilla FM ProgrammeDaniel AmokachiSuper EaglesSynagogue Church of All NationsT.B. Joshua
London: Former England captain Michael Vaughan feels Alex Hales will never play international cricket again after the beleaguered batsman was suspended from the World Cup squad.Hales was named in England’s preliminary 15-man squad only to be axed last week after a newspaper report revealed the 30-year-old was serving a 21-day ban for a second positive drugs test.“I don’t know how he comes back from this. He has lost the opportunity of playing for his country in a World Cup on home soil and he’ll live with that forever,” Vaughan said during a podcast on BBC Radio 5 Live.“Alex Hales was on a 12-month suspended sentence from his actions in Bristol. I don’t know how he comes back from this, he has lost the trust of the team,” the former skipper added.Hales, known for his big-hitting skills, was first taken to task by the England and Wales Cricket Board’s Cricket Discipline Commission for his role in Bristol, as well as for some social media posts. The World Cup starts in England and Wales from May 30. IANSAlso Read: SPORTS NEWS
For all the Latest Sports News News, Asian Games News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. New Delhi: Tejinderpal Singh Toor Saturday clinched the men’s gold in shot-put with record throw on the 7th day of Asian Games 2018 in Jakarta. Toor threw the iron ball to 20.75 meter to win gold and break the Asian Games record. He also bettered previous national record of 20.69 meter set by Om Prakash Karhana.Toor cleared 19.96m in his very first attempt and came up with a huge throw of 20.75 meter in his fifth and penultimate throw. He also bettered his earlier best of 20.24 meter which he came up with in 2017.China’s Liu Yang took the silver while Kazakhstan’s Ivan Ivanov bagged bronze with 19.52 meter and 19.40 meter throws, respectively.Apart from Toor, Dipika Pallikal, Joshna Chinappa and Saurav Ghosal won three bronze medals in squash for India on day 7. With this, India’s total medal tally rose to 29 with seven golds, five silver and 17 bronze medals.Also Read | India A tour to England helped me prepare for Test debut, says Rishabh PantSindhu, Saina advances to quarters in badmintonStar Indian shuttlers PV Sindhu and Saina Nehwal sailed into the women’s singles quarterfinals after beating their respective opponents in straight games.Olympic silver medallist Sindhu defeated Indonesian shuttler and world number 22 Gregoria Mariska Tunjung 21-12 21-15 in 35 minutes while Commonwealth Games gold medallist Saina outwitted another local player Fitriani 21-6 21-14 in the second-round match.In the quarters, Saina will now face either Thailand’s Ratchanok Intanon or Korea’s Sung Ji Hyun, while Sindhu will take on the winner of the match between Sri Lanka’s Kavidi Sirimannage and Thailand’s Nitchaon Jindapol.Besides Sidhu and Saina, Hima Das, who won gold in World Junior Athletics Championships in July this year, qualified for the women’s 400m finals after finishing in the heats with a national record-breaking time of 51 seconds.Also Read | India legend Jhulan Goswami retires from T20-InternationalsIndia’s Medal hopes in golf take a hitMeanwhile, India’s hope for a medal in golf took a hit on Saturday with all four players shooting over-par in the third round of the men’s event. Rayhan Thomas (73), Aadil Bedi (74), Kshitij Naveed Kaul (76) and Hari Mohan Singh (77) were left fighting on the back nine to save their respective rounds.However, there was still a chance as both Thomas and Bedi were only four shots behind second-placed Sadom Kaewkanjana of Thailand and Oh Seungtaek.(With Inputs from agencies)
highlights Newark: Indian boxing star Vijender Singh remained an unstoppable force, clinching a Technical Knockout over the more experienced Mike Snider on his debut in the US professional circuit in Newark. In what was to be an eight-round super middleweight contest on Saturday night (early Sunday morning in India), the 33-year-old from Haryana prevailed in four rounds for his 11th consecutive victory in the circuit. “It was excellent getting back in the ring after a long time off. It’s great to be here in the USA and to get the win. It was really exciting. I am really happy for my winning debut in the USA,” Vijender said after the bout. The triumph came in the second minute of the fourth round when Vijender cornered Snider with a flurry of straight punches, prompting the referee to stop the bout in the Indian’s favour. “It took me about four rounds to get back in the swing of things. I expected it to take two or three rounds, but it took me four. I felt good,” said Vijender. This was Vijender’s eighth knockout win in all. The 38-year-old Snider was flailing his arms without any significant force in his punches for most of the bout. Vijender, on the other hand, was sharp as ever despite fighting his first bout in more than a year. The Indian never looked threatened by the local favourite and thwarted his feeble attacks quite easily. Snider came into the fight with an overall record of 13-5-3. Vijender, a former WBO Asia Pacific champion, recently fought and lost in the Indian general elections from the South Delhi seat. Vijender would be aiming to compete in two more fights this year after signing up with Hall of Famer Bob Arum’s Top Rank Promotions. “Top Rank has a bigger plan for me, and whatever they say is next, I’m fine with it,” Vijender said. Vijender’s British trainer Lee Beard, who has been with the Indian ever since he turned pro in 2015, lauded his commitment. “I am happy that after a long gap Vijender is finally back in good shape and action in the ring. His dedication helped him. We will now look forward to having bigger plans for him,” he said. Commenting on his defeat, Snider said, “Vijender is a good boxer and I believe I underestimated his experience and technique. It was his day and he won. I had never thought that I would lose in the early rounds.” Vijender’s India promoters IOS Boxing’s Managing Director Neerav Tomar said bigger fights await the former Olympic medallist in the next few months. Vijender Singh won his 11th professional boxing bout.Vijender Singh defeated Mike Snider.Vijender Singh turned professional in 2015. For all the Latest Sports News News, Other Sports News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.
As they do each spring, the Cicero-North Syracuse and Liverpool boys tennis teams encountered each other last Monday afternoon at the start of another crowded week of matches.And the Northstars got the best of it, beating both the rain and the Warriors in a 7-0 decision that was preserved by a pair of doubles matches that went to three sets.C-NS had Jonathan Corl and Brandon Millias outlast Liverpool’s Eli Barbour and Adam Ritter 6-2, 6-7 (10-8), 10-6, while Ethan Dupell and Will Janusz, two games from defeat, rallied for a 3-6, 7-5, 6-4 win over Owen Dann and Matt Kane. As that went on, Baldwinsville got back on the court and defeated Syracuse East 5-1, the Bees seeing Antonio Marsallo, Eric Smith and Christian Treichler win their singles matches without dropping a set.In doubles, Larry Lewis and Austin Mackley lost, 6-3, 7-6, to Yasin Hassan and Salimo Musa, but Max Funicello and Nick Licciardello defeated Kyle Giardine and Tom Moore 6-0, 6-4, with Phil Fiorentino and Connor Tutor topping Devin Murphy-Stanley and Curran Shannon 6-0, 6-2.That set up a far more dramatic match on Thursday, B’ville and West Genesee seeing five different matches go to three sets, including all the doubles contests, and the Bees doing just enough to edge the Wildcats 4-3.Each side had a singles point in the books, Marsallo handling James Plunkett 6-3, 6-0, when Leonardo Vona found himself in a third-set tie-breaker with Ryan Joyce, but able to win it and take the match 7-5, 1-6, 7-6 (7-3).The doubles side was a series of classics. Fiorentino and Tutor led before a 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 defeat to Ty Lisi and Max Mekker, with Colin Savage and Clayon Speach getting a first-set shutout, yet still losing to Paoli and Dan Good 0-6, 6-3, 6-4.So the other B’ville teams had to win – and did so, Funicello and Licciardello staging their own big comeback to beat Stefan Atanasov and Noah Ruston 1-6, 6-3, 6-4 as Treichler, paired with Hunter Dukat, held off David Puma and Michael White 6-1, 4-6, 6-3.With far less drama, C-NS shut out Syracuse East 7-0. Dupell, Hill and James Corl lost just four total game in six sets of singles play, with Millias and Jon Corl beating Murphy-Stanley and Giardine 6-2, 6-3 as Gallagher and Hirsh won by those same scores over Yassin Hassan and Salimo Musa.Share this:FacebookTwitterLinkedInRedditComment on this Story The other doubles matches only lasted two sets, Ryan Gallagher and Edwin Hirsh enduring a second-set tie-breaker, but won 6-3, 7-6 (7-2) as Josh Matyasik and Holden Sarosy won over Caleb Arnold and Shobit Sharma 7-5, 6-1.All of the singles matches belonged to the Northstars as James Corl handled Aaron Alejo 6-1, 6-0, with Ryan Hill rolling past Ben White 6-0, 6-2 and Wyatt Dupell claiming a 6-0, 6-4 decision over Aiden Barbour.Liverpool went from here to a 7-0 defeat to West Genesee on Wednesday afternoon. Austin Huntress-Kennedy, in singles, lost, 6-3, 6-1, to Ben Paoli, while the closest doubles match had Barbour and White falling to Stefan Atanasov and Noah Ruston 6-2, 6-3. Tags: BaldwinsvilleBoys tennisC-NSliverpool
Seniors Jio Fontan and Eric Wise were named team MVPs following the USC men’s basketball team’s annual end-of-season awards banquet held Tuesday night.Wise, a 6-foot-6 forward, led the Trojans in scoring, averaging 11.9 points per game in his lone season with the program after transferring from UC Irvine following his junior season with the Anteaters. He also ranked second on the team in rebounding with 5.7 per game.A transfer as well, from Fordham, Fontan started all 32 games for USC, averaging 9.3 points, 5.3 assists and 1.7 rebounds. Fontan was also honored as the team’s top defender.Other award winners included junior center Dewayne Dedmon (Bob Boyd Award as the leading rebounder), junior center Omar Oraby (Ernie Holbrook Award for Most Inspirational), junior guard J.T. Terrell (Ryan Francis Scholarship Award for an “example of being a Trojan”) and sophomore guard Byron Wesley (The Harold Jones Award as most improved).USC finished 14-18 overall and 9-9 in the Pac-12 during the 2012-13 season, falling in the first round of the conference tournament last March in Las Vegas.
Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on December 29, 2018 at 12:29 pm Comments