Ice shelves in West Antarctica have been shown to melt where warm circumpolar deep water enters a sub-shelf cavity. A bathymetric reconstruction of Totten Glacier in East Antarctica suggests that the same process may be at work there.
When Arnold Aboretum horticulture staff need to break up heavily-trod ground or move a large plant from one location to another in the landscape, an air knife helps them get the job done. Through a $10,000 gift from the Arnold Arboretum Committee, a Jamaica Plain non-profit advocacy organization, the Arboretum has acquired an air compressor that will enable staff to deploy the air knife more extensively for plant health and maintenance initiatives in the Arboretum landscape.Already a part of the Arboretum’s equipment arsenal, the air knife requires the use of a large tow-behind air compressor for its operation, which until now has been rented for specific projects. With the acquisition of the air compressor unit, the horticulture staff can exercise greater flexibility and efficiency in using the air knife as a part of its standard operations for plant care and health.“The Arboretum’s collections represent an invaluable resource to science as well as the visiting public,” said William “Ned” Friedman, the Arboretum director. “Everything we do in research and education revolves around the 15,000 curated organisms in our landscape, so ensuring their vigor and long life is absolutely essential. We’re delighted to have the kind support of the Arnold Arboretum Committee to help us make the most of our efforts to improve the condition of our plants.” Read Full Story
Press Association Fozzy Stack believes Onenightidreamed could be under-priced in the Tote Irish Lincolnshire at the Curragh. He said: “I think he’s a very short price for what he’s done. He hasn’t run since last May and it’s a very competitive race. “He ran well in a similar race last season as a three-year-old and he’ll love the soft ground, but he’s drawn low (stall five), which is a worry. “I’d definitely preferred to have been drawn higher as when the ground is soft they tend to come up the stands side.” Mick Halford last won this valuable prize with Deauville Prince in 2007 and is double-handed this year, with Hasanour and Kings Ryker in contention. Halford said: “Shane (Foley) rides Hasanour as he’s got a weight he can ride at. He ran well in the (Irish) Cambridgeshire last year and he’s ready to go, but he wouldn’t want any more rain. If it goes soft I think he might struggle. “Kings Ryker has a good draw (stall 10) and is an unexposed horse with a light weight. Hopefully he’ll run well, but he wouldn’t want the ground too soft, either. “We’ll find out how forward the horses are on Sunday. The Dundalk horses have been in good form all winter, so we’ll see how those horses that haven’t run since last season are this weekend. They seem fit and well, so fingers crossed.” Yorkshire-based trainer Karl Burke is hopeful You’re Fired can make the trip across the Irish Sea worthwhile. He said: “We’re going there very hopeful. I think he’ll like the track and the trip and he’s a progressive horse. He finished last season with a couple of OK runs. He’s been gelded over the winter, which I think will really improve him.” The lightly raced four-year-old heads the betting for the fiercely competitive handicap on the first day of the Flat turf season, despite having been off the track since finishing third over the course and distance last spring in just his third competitive start. Stack, assistant trainer to his father Tommy, also feels the chestnut gelding is drawn on the wrong side of the track.
The Ladies side ran out comprehensive winners over Scotland yesterday afternoon to claim the trophy on a final score-line of 73 points to 3, the second time in three years that they have won the coveted title. Captain of the side Niamh Briggs says she will be taking a few days off to savour the win and she’s keeping a close eye on the trophy.
About the authorAnsser SadiqShare the loveHave your say Arsenal manager Emery surprised by Mourinho news: Not good for coachesby Ansser Sadiq10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveUnai Emery says Jose Mourinho’s sacking as Manchester United manager came as a surprise.The Spaniard added that the news did not bode well for other coaches.Speaking before Wednesday’s EFL Cup quarter-final against Tottenham, Emery said: “The only thing I can say to you is that it’s a surprise for me and not good news, because when one coach finishes his work like that, it’s not good for coaches.”My focus is only on our way, our work. We have a lot of work to do to improve and also find a solution in every match with our players. My focus is on the big derby tomorrow, the north London derby, and that’s the focus of the players as well. Only that.”
If the coaches, players and fans all feel like the risk of injury has outstripped the value of playing the games, there’s no viable path forward for the four-game preseason. Only one question remains: Whether the coaches, players and fans can persuade the owners to get on a different path. For most of the 2000s and into the middle of this decade, the number of starters who threw the fewest preseason passes on their teams stayed in the low single digits. Last year, it was a full half of the league’s starting QBs.This year, no starters have thrown the most passes of anyone else on their team, and 22 threw the fewest. In just seven years, we’ve gone from almost half the league mostly playing their starters to over two-thirds the league barely playing them at all.There’s also reason to believe that the decline of starting QB reps across the league this preseason is not a coincidence. The NFL and its players’ union have begun negotiations for their next collective bargaining agreement, and truncating the preseason is reportedly a major negotiating topic. In that context, coaches and players are incentivized to force the owners’ hands.Last week, with Luck likely to sit out the third preseason game, Colts head coach Frank Reich and Chicago Bears head coach Matt Nagy texted before the game and reached a mutual I-won’t-play-my-guys-if-you-won’t truce. A similar detente was reached between Philadelphia Eagles head coach Doug Pederson and Baltimore Ravens skipper John Harbaugh after their week of joint practices.In fact, joint practice sessions seem to be where the starters are getting all the reps they’ve been giving up.“I think [joint practices are] the trend. I think that’s where we’re going. I think that’s the way the league is heading,” Pederson said in a recent press conference. “As coaches, we get to set the situation and control the environment, and sometimes you don’t get those in games. You don’t get that situation in a game, and this way we can control that and work on specific things and get some really good work done with our starters.”That all makes sense: If a coach really wants to work on the two-minute offense, a preseason game offers no guarantee that a team will even get in a two-minute situation. The same is true for any other situation, matchup or personnel package. What doesn’t make sense, though, is charging fans full price to watch an uncontrolled scrimmage between a bunch of players who likely won’t even make their respective teams.On Monday, Texans head coach Bill O’Brien suggested that fans could whet their appetite for starter-on-starter action by the league televising joint practices in lieu of two preseason games: This season, it fell even more steeply. Projected Week 1 starters (via OurLads) accounted for just 11.7 percent of pass attempts.1Luck was the Colts’ projected starter up to and through the start of the Colts’ third preseason game, so he counts as “the starter” in these numbers. That’s a 43 percent drop in one year, after more than a decade of consistently giving fans at least a decent look at the most important player on the team.The same pattern shows up when we look at how many starters have led their team in preseason attempts — and how many starters have brought up the rear. In 2002, 14 of 32 teams’ starting quarterbacks led their team in preseason pass attempts, and in 2012, 13 starters still led their team in preseason throws. But since 2015, no more than three have. The curtain fell on the 2019 NFL preseason Thursday night — and judging by the volleys of rotten produce hurled at it by fans, writers and coaches, the NFL may never want to stage that show the same way again.For decades, it’s felt like the NFL has had a predictable rhythm to how (and how often) starters play. A little in the first game, then a little more, and then the third preseason game is the “dress rehearsal,” when coaches game-plan, starters start, and the fans who paid full price for tickets get treated to something resembling their team. In the context of meaningless August football, this one game on the preseason schedule was the closest thing fans got to the real thing. The fourth preseason game, in which starters rarely played, has been a forgivable afterthought.But the ugly, pointless football played Thursday night felt unforgivable — because the players fans pay to see barely played in the first three games, either. Even the last bastion of NFL preseason relevance seems to be vanishing. This year’s “dress rehearsals” hardly lived up to their billing. Carolina Panthers starting quarterback Cam Newton left the game after a minor injury. Almost all of the Green Bay Packers’ starters were held out. Houston starter Deshaun Watson got sacked to start the team’s first possession, the Texans lost starting running back Lamar Miller for the season on the next play, then Watson got sacked again, fumbled the ball and headed for the bench without throwing a pass. Indianapolis Colts starter Andrew Luck retired before taking a single preseason rep.If teams are comfortable going the entire preseason with their starting quarterbacks barely taking the field, the league’s case for making their fans spend the time and money to watch these games is significantly weakened. Perhaps as no surprise, calls to reduce the number of preseason games are now coming from everywhere, from fans on Twitter to major news outlets. It feels like all of a sudden, the whole NFL-watching world has given up on the preseason.Of course, calls for a shortened NFL preseason are nothing new. Analyst John Clayton called for it in The Washington Post earlier this month — almost two decades after he wrote for ESPN that players’ union representatives had already been pushing for it “for years.”The year after Clayton wrote that ESPN article, the NFL expanded to 32 teams. Fourteen of those teams’ eventual Week 1 starters led their squad in preseason pass attempts. Even as their union reps were arguing that a four-game preseason was at least one game more than anybody needed, stars like Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Daunte Culpepper, Brett Favre and Peyton Manning were out there taking more reps than anybody on their team.During that 2002 season, 34.4 percent of preseason passes were thrown by quarterbacks who would go on to start Week 1. A decade later, starters’ share of the workload was about the same. But from 2012 to last season, their leaguewide share of pass attempts dropped by 36.5 percent.
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — You could use three words to describe the now-departed Ohio State football senior class: good, bad and ugly. For several Buckeye seniors, whose legacy to OSU football might be in question, Monday’s season-ending 24-17 loss to Florida in the 2012 Gator Bowl, was an opportunity to reflect on the highs, the lows and the forgettable moments of their OSU careers. Several players, including senior center Michael Brewster, pointed to back-to-back Bowl Championship Series victories in the 2010 Rose Bowl and the 2011 Sugar Bowl as a reminder of the class’ accomplishments. “We had a good run in the middle — two BCS bowl wins, three Big Ten championships,” Brewster said. “There were a lot of what ifs about this year — what could have been. But we won a Sugar Bowl and a Rose bowl back-to-back. I think that’s something that’s pretty amazing.” The 2011 Sugar Bowl victory to which Brewster referred — a 31-26 win against Arkansas — was later vacated by the university, along with the entire 2010 regular season, for NCAA rules violations. To be sure, OSU football’s class of 2011 enjoyed bowl triumphs, or “good” moments. Then the 2011 season began — a season some members of Buckeye Nation might consider a low moment in the program’s history. OSU lost seven games for the first time since 1897. The campaign fraught with turbulence on and off the playing field for each team member, but especially the members of the class of 2011. The season-ending defeat to Florida elicited different reactions from the departing Buckeyes and their teammates that remain. Off-field transgressions — many of which were committed by OSU seniors — resulted in penalties for OSU football. On Dec. 19, the NCAA Committee on Infractions handed the team a one-year postseason ban and slashed a total of nine scholarships over three years due to multiple violations. In December 2010, five OSU football players, former quarterback Terrelle Pryor, senior wide receiver DeVier Posey, senior left tackle Mike Adams, senior running back Daniel “Boom” Herron and redshirt senior defensive end Solomon Thomas, were suspended for the first five games of the 2011 season after selling Buckeye football memorabilia in exchange for improper benefits in the form of tattoos. Redshirt sophomore linebacker Jordan Whiting also received a one-game ban. Posey, who was suspended for a total of 10 games for two separate NCAA violations, said there weren’t many on-field positives for him to draw from in 2011. “It’s definitely not wins, and it’s not like a good football season as far as things go,” Posey said. “This was definitely a humbling experience.” Not all OSU seniors’ careers were marred by controversy though. Redshirt senior linebacker Tyler Moeller removed his scarlet and gray jersey for the final time Monday. The game brought about an end to Moeller’s six-year career at Ohio Stadium, which saw the player battle back from injuries and an assault and subsequent brain trauma. “It’s sad and disappointing at the same time,” Moeller said of leaving the Buckeyes. “Having your last game to take it (your jersey) off be a loss, it’s tough. It’s been a great journey. Ending with a loss is just tough.” After Monday’s loss, senior linebacker Andrew Sweat talked about the pride he takes in having been a part of OSU football, saying the experience was “surreal.” “You get to here and you’re so excited to play for a prestigious program like Ohio State,” Sweat said. “You experience all the highs that we’ve experienced, and obviously this season was full of lows. But that only makes you better as a person. Players like Moeller and Sweat might be cause for former coach and now-assistant defensive coordinator Luke Fickell’s affinity for the departing seniors. “What we think of their legacy and what you write about their legacy is two completely different things,” Fickell said. “For us, we know that they’ve fought through and battled a lot of things. We know what they mean to us, and how we feel about them.”
Liverpool are ready to offload Daniel Sturridge this summer and are willing to accept bids in the region of £15m, reports the Daily TelegraphThe former England international has been told that he has no future at Anfield and will have to leave in order to gain the regular playing time that he needs.Sturridge had previously spent the latter part of last season on loan at the relegated West Brom, but he failed to make an impact and could not find the back of the net with just six appearances and two starts.Report: Origi cause Klopp injury concerns George Patchias – September 14, 2019 Divock Origi injury in today’s game against Newcastle is a cause for concern for Jurgen Klopp.Perhaps with one eye on Tuesday’s trip to Italy…The 28-year-old has attracted the interest of the likes of Sevilla and Fenerbahce, but it remains to be seen whether they would be willing to fork out £15m for the out-of-form striker.And Liverpool have no interest in taking a cut-price deal for Sturridge and feel under no pressure to sell him immediately, despite the fact that he has fallen completely out of favour with Jurgen Klopp.
Italy boss Roberto Mancini believes a lack of attacking options is not the reason behind their current struggles in front of goalSince Mancini’s appointment in May, Italy have scored just twice in three games in Group A3 in the Nations League.With Federico Bernardeschi as a false-nine on Sunday, the Azzurri’s problems in front of goal were plain for everyone to see after missing a host of chances at Poland.While an injury-time goal from Cristiano Biraghi did seal Mancini’s first win in charge of Italy, concerns over their striking options remain for the supporters.“There’s no striker problem,” said Mancini, according to Football-Italia.“There are times where you don’t win and you don’t even know why, then suddenly it all changes. Now the hope is that the lads get to the Portugal game in good physical shape.“The win [against Poland] was important, but the performance even more so. We gave consistency to what we did against Ukraine in Genoa.“The best thing about the win was how happy the lads were, I think they deserved it after a long time.Serie A Betting: Match-day 3 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Considering there is a number of perfect starts so early in the Serie A season, as well as a few surprisingly not-so perfect ones….“But now we still have to improve a lot and give consistency to our results and performances.“We have to be an attacking team, both at home and away. We need time and patience, but that’s our ultimate target.”🎥 #Highlights🇵🇱🇮🇹 #PolandItaly 0️⃣-1️⃣⚽️ 92’ #BIRAGHI🏆 #NationsLeague🏟 #SilesianStadium – #Chorzow#POLITA #VivoAzzurropic.twitter.com/TPVT5hxqIu— Italy (@azzurri) October 16, 2018